Accepted to MBA program with UC Davis and Pepperdine - now what?

I just got accepted to MBA programs at Pepperdine and UC Davis.  I've been pulling out my hair trying to decide which one I'll go with.

Background:  I plan to use this MBA in conjunction with my existing (and recently earned) JD to practice corporate securities law.  And I plan to focus on finance in the MBA program.

Goals:  I obviously plan to receive a quality education.  But I also want to market myself properly and want to make sure the school I end up going with is widely known to the public.

Any help in deciding would be appreciated.

My son in law went to UCDavis for his Masters and Doctorate degree. 

The campus is big, but very nice. It has very diverse student population. There is a Beautiful walking trial along the trees right by the campus. Great for exercise and to de stress. I can tell you the town of Davis is wonderful. An odd mix of the town people, families, older people and college students. Downtown Davis you will find them all mixing.  It is a safe area. LOTS of bicycles everywhere. The bus system will get you from campus to many apartment complexes in the area. My daughter and her husband survived  with one car for four years. Personally I think the weather is better in Northern California.  And you are not going to get that LA traffic and smog There are many places you can go for a short weekend trip. They have gone to South Lake Tahoe hiking, taken the train to San Francisco, drove down to Santa Cruz and kayak on the ocean.  Gone to Muir Woods Redwood forest. 

There is an Amtrak train station in Davis and an airport Is very close.

Pepperdine is a Christian school and very conservative.  Does that work for you?

Do your research on rent .  Looks like apartments around UCDavis are going to be much less.

Both schools are known and will give a good education.

I think you focused on the wrong things:

1. Both Pepperdine and UC Davis are "well known universities," but neither is well known for their MBA program. If you aren't attending a top 25 program, it almost doesn't matter where you go. 

2. Are you going to rely on your JD or your MBA to get a job.  If the job you want is a lawyer job, then the MBA isn't really necessary. Just having it is probably enough. What exactly is it that you hope to gain from earning an MBA that you don't already know that would specifically help you get the position you want?

3. Given that you've already spent a lot of money on your education (bachelor's and JD), which school will be the least expensive option for you?

4. You selected these two very different schools. Why? What about each program appealed to you?  Which campus and or curriculum suits you?  

• Lili

Davis ranks about 4th among the UCs. It's a fine university, but it enjoys somewhat less prestige than the private Pepperdine.  Neither, however, is "widely known" to the public. No one's going to ooh and ahh when you say you earned your MBA at Davis or Pepperdine, though people hiring for the sorts of positions you have in mind will certainly be aware of both.

My one caveat is that philosophically and politically, Pepperdine is a rather a conservative school. If you don't mind that, go there. Otherwise, you might find yourself to be something of a fish out of water and will encounter a more politically diverse student body at Davis.

the one that seems to have the best placement program in your area -- retired MBA/CPA

• fcas80

Either school is wel known.  But if you want to practice corporate securities law, it is the law degree and experience in a law firm that are most important.