Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

My mom won’t let me save ?

I’m 19 years old and I work but my mom keeps taking most of my money from my checks. She also throws that I’m 19 and still live at home but I can save. We have a joint account so she just takes money out whenever she wants. When I asked her to stop so I can save she says “I pay all the bills I should have extra money for myself” I understand that sometimes but literally every check I get she literally takes all of it and leaves me with $50. I use that on bus fare and Uber’s to work so I really have no money. I hate this so much but what can I do?

15 Answers

  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    simply move out , then see what it costs you , for electricity , tv and running a fridge and oven , and may be the cost of an airconditioner . thats without gas or rent costs .

  • R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Open your own bank account, then give your mother money from each paycheck toward the household expenses. 

  • 1 month ago

    As you're of legal age, the 1st thing you should do is open a bank account that is in your name only. Then, you need to notify your employer to have your paycheck deposited into your new account. From there you'll have to talk with your Mom and negotiate what you feel would be a fair amount to contribute to the household expense on a monthly basis. Hopefully, it will work out satisfactory to you both. Should you not be able to work out an agreement, the alternative would be to find your own apartment.

    Source(s): If it does not, the only other alternative will be to find your own apartment
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    At 19, you don't need to have a joint account with your mother. Open your own bank account and have your paychecks direct deposited.  Sit down with your mother and agree on an amount for you to give her each week.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You're a legal adult. Go to any bank, open your own account, without her name on it, and have your paychecks direct-deposited right into that account. She can't take money she has no access to. And find a place of your own to move to. 

  • 1 month ago

    You have been a willing victim of theft for too long.  Open your own bank account and empty the joint one and stop putting money into it.  When your thief of a mother complains to you, tell her that you consulted a financial planner and most of your money is now going directly into an investment.  If she wants more from you, tell her that there was a minimum that you have to invest every month and it only leaves you about $50 a month and it will be a while before you can change that.  If she wants to know what you invested in, tell her it was something the bank was offering and it is secure, so not to worry about it.  Don't give the leech any more information.

  • 1 month ago

    Stop putting the checks in the joint account.  Get your own account, without her, and put your checks in it.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Since your mom doesn't say what the "extra money for herself" is being used for, it sounds like she is taking advantage of you.  Living at home at 19, yes it's good to pay for part of rent, groceries, and other things, but if you are left with only $50 then something needs to change.  You should get your own place, then you will be able to keep track of all your money.  You hate the current situation so the sooner you move, the better. 

  • 2 months ago

    Move out ASAP.  Find a sustainable job and get out.  You're an adult...act like one.

  • GA41
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You can have some of your check deposited directly into a personal savings account.  You may have to have your direct deposit go automatically into a savings account, then transfer whatever you want to the joint checking account.  Your mother would only see the amount transferred into the joint checking account.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.