A question for the programmers?

Can I get a job as a programmer if my degree is in business? I have no formal education (i.e. I didn't attend college for it) in programming, but I am taking several udemy classes. I am learning Python (on udemy.com) since it is a beginner's language (so I have been told), and once I master it, or at the very least become comfortably proficient (a year or two?) I will learn C++ for game development. Anyway, the real meat of my question is: will employers toss my resume aside if they see I do not have a degree in computer science? 

Thank you to everyone that contributed. It really is heartening to hear that I have a shot. Cheers, stay safe everyone.

Favorite Answer

yes you can.

you do not need to have a 'degree' to be a programmer.

you just need to demonstrate you can code and write programs in a given lanuage that they want you to know. thats all.  A certain level of proficiency in that langauge is desirable though.

dont expect a $100k a year job if all you know how to do is output 'hello world' .

I've set up a new plugin this morning. My website https://infograsps.com/ has been down since then, however, and I can not go to the admin dashboard.

The connexion is timed and the website is inaccessible. It says.

"TIMED OUT FOR WORK"

When I first started programming, a friend of mine was in the same position, due to his degree in theology.

You get to TRY. Maybe you will succeed, maybe not.

• Lv 7

it depends. some do, some don't. they should tell you what they expect in job listings, which you should be checking to be sure there are jobs available for the path you are taking.

most employers WILL expect that you at least show them dozens of examples of your work. of the things you've done.

and you should know it all backwards and forwards before trying for a job.

• keerok

Yes you can.              !

I'm not a prgrammer but if you can give a good overview of what you can do via a portfolio or even being able to show contributions to opensource on something like github this should be worth more than just educational qualifications.

• Scott

When my son did an internship at the Wayfare corporation in iOS, one of their top programmers had a bachelors degree in social science. I think it was psychology. So it’s possible to work in a tech field without having a degree in computer science.  But it certainly not common.