signed lease of apartment?

My family have moved into an apartment 1 week ago and two days after moving in everyone in the apartment complex gets a letter of the change of management was sold to another property management. Today I get an email that my application was declined. Can they make us move even though we signed a lease and paid the security and move in deposit?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The new management HAS to honor your signed lease and cannot make any changes in the lease un til it is renewed...at which point, you are free to move.

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If you've already signed a lease - then the new owner MUST accept the conditions of the lease.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have a signed contract then the new owners are legally bound to honour your contract

• 1 month ago

If you signed a lease, that lease carries forward with the new landlord who accepts the terms as a part of the purchase. He cannot legally do otherwise. Likewise. the new landlord is now responsible for the deposit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I am not sure where you are so I cannot speak for your local jurisdiction laws. But if you were in Texas, no, the new management company could not do this. The new management would have to honor and be bound by the same lease terms you agreed to with the previous landlord.

• 1 month ago

If the lease is signed, it's legally binding on all parties.

• 1 month ago

That's a question for a lawyer.  Perhaps, the old company had no right to rent to you.  Perhaps, the sale date was prior and the takeover happened slower, over time, to allow for training and other things that needed to be done.  In other words, we don't know.  Consult a lawyer.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

When you sign a lease, both parties are bound by the terms. When a LL sells the property, the buyer purchases it AS IS (with respect to leases). They can try to negotiate with tenants, but the existing lease agreements are binding and the new owner must take over the responsibilities of the lessor. If you signed a year lease, the new LL can’t change the terms until it expires. In a year, they can draft a new lease and change anything they want, but you can move out if you don’t agree to it. They also don’t have to renew your lease, but if you’re a quiet, respectful tenant who pays on time, they have nothing to gain by kicking you out. Just make sure you save your lease, receipts, and anything else related to the apartment. Take pics now (if you didn’t already) so you don’t get blamed for preexisting damage. Don’t let the LL screw you over. They know the laws and their rights. Make sure you know yours.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would talk to a lawyer about it

• 1 month ago

If you have already moved in, you can tell them "obviously I was accepted since i'm living here". 

- I'd advise not to be as blunt as I am. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.