Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

I got $10,000 from my late great-aunt's estate. How should I spend it?

I was never close to her and only met her 3 times. Thought she was kind of cold the first time I met her. So have no feelings good or bad towards her. Now however, she is suddenly my favorite person in the world. She died 18 years ago but my grandmother, her niece, cashed in the stocks and gave it out to the 11 grandkids. 

Favorite Answer

$10,000 is not a lot of money at all. Lose your job and watch how fast you burn through $10k. You should put it in a savings account. It's clear that you don't have much money saved up to begin with if you're asking how you should spend the money. You're not in the business of saving money, or else your mindset would already be geared towards putting it in a savings account. How foolish to think it needs to be spent. 

• art

dont go mad and spend it all right away - maybe take a couple of hundred out to treat yourself, put the rest in the bank and give yourself some proper time to decide what you want to use it for

just put it in your bank acct for now

If I were in your shoes I would spend it one of two ways:  Traveling or Education.

• Embery

Cocaine and prostitutes.

DON'T spend it. Invest some of it, and save some of it. That's the smart thing to do. You can treat yourself to a few things, but that's where the majority of the money should go.

keep it in cash and convert it to the most standard currency.

Banks will only devalue (or worse lose) your investments.

Invest it in the stock market.