There is a weird crack in my wall above the window. The way I would describe it is as if there was a finger pushing it out. What is it?

Is this a job for a professional?

I just want to know what would cause this crack to happen in the first place. It is not a flat crack as you can see. 

Looks like an expansion crack. Something has expanded and pushed the surface outwards. Get some filler, dig out the area then fill it and smooth it out level.

• I care

Sometimes when a home begins to settle cracks develop.  Having a professional check it out if you want to pay this expense?  

Nail working it's way out. Pick off the loose stuff, set the nail. Fill with plastic wood, sand and repaint.

'get a professional' is bad joke -- your ordinary handyman can do this job just fine

Well picking out the loose stuff, patching, sanding, and painting isnt rocket science.