When exactly did comedy start sucking?

When did people start getting so offended

Update:

Jbki.....no it wasn't meant as a history question. I guess some level 6 loser moved the category. This was supposed to be in society and culture

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

When Richard Pryor became funny

• 1 month ago

When comedians thought they absolutely had to include a ton of swearing in their act.

• 1 month ago

with that mean and disgustingly unfunny jerk GEORGE CARLIN.  Filthy mouth, stupid man, hate-filled

• ree
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Lenny Bruce was the first controversial comedian (career began early 1950s). Eventually, his act became extreme enough to get arrested for obscenity. I know the Illinois Supreme Court overturned one of his convictions in 1964.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

When kings starting sending jesters to the dungeons. If they didn't side with the king on many subjects that's what often happened. This is a history question, right?

• KennyB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Look into the tribulations of Lenny Bruce in the 50s.  People were offended by him.  Look into the 'seven words you can't say on television' routine of George Carlin in the 70s.  Again, people were offended.  It took a series of decision (up to and including the US Supreme Court).  Look into the blue comedy of Redd Foxx and of Richard Prior.  People have been offended for as long as other people have been telling jokes.

• Audrey
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

When people turned into snowflakes. Everything offends someone. Nothing left to joke about.

• 1 month ago

I would hate to be a comedian now because nobody can say anything without somebody being offended. There are very few jokes left 

• 1 month ago

not all comedy is sucky, did I ever tell you about the funny things made by a guy on youtube named pappy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.