Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Can my mom kick me out if I'm on the lease and I pay rent?

My mom and I relationship has spiraled out of control and since I'm an adult and she can't physically put her hands on me anymore she's just been verbally and mentally abusing me. My last straw was today because she said some pretty hurtful things and it's like no matter how much I ignore and try to sometimes be the bigger person nothing seems to help me and I always allow her to bring me down. I told her that i will find a roommate as soon as possible and get out her way and she immediately threatened to throw all my belongings out and also kick down my room door when she gets back and I was just wondering if she could do that. My name is on the lease and I've been paying her rent since I was 18 years old so could you just throw me out like that? 

yes we are a joint leaseholder also if she touches my stuff and I call the cops will they arrest her? She keeps threatening me and telling me that she's going to teach me a lesson and show me who's the parent and boss of this house. I swear I don't do anything to this lady but she just tries to torment me in any way that she could. 

• car253

She cannot kick you out.   But if she hurts you then you can get her arrested.    Verbal abuse is not illegal.     But when your lease is up I would move out.

Simple answer is to break your lease and move out. Problem solved.

I don't think she can kick you out if you're on the lease. But you can get her kicked out if she's disturbing the peace and the cops will escort her off the premises. If i were you i would call them the next time she tries to get physical with you.

Any reason why you haven't looked for legal advice online? Contacted the landlord, the Police, who ever? You think random people on yahoo would be better?

• Foofa

If you have a cosigned leased she'd have to go through the legal eviction process to kick you out. 

• Ann

Let me get this straight--you two are co-leasers on a property, but you are paying rent to your mother rather than directly to your landlord?  If you are over 18 and have a job, I would start sending a check directly to the landlord every month until your lease is up, or until you can find someone to take over your half of the remainder of the lease.  If you can find a replacement, let that person take over your payments to the landlord and move out.  If not, pay the landlord and let your mother fend for herself on her part of the lease.  Start packing up your things and keeping them in your room, so if she attempts to throw out anything or damage the property (kicking down the door), you can call the authorities on her.  You could probably get a court order releasing you from your half of the lease if you can prove  that she's dangerous to you. 

Okay, let's work this out... this may be hard to hear, so bare with me, okay? No matter what people say, especially parents, everyone always wants to feel needed. 

I would focus on love. Love works many of the times, not always, but most of the time. You have to become a bigger person. Remember this person devoted her life to take care of you and now you are all grown up. 

Normally, what I do in a situation of distress is reverse the situation. Obviously, your relationship spiraled out of control for a reason. You left that part out. That would be key.  Well, reverse the situation, you are the parent, you devoted your life to take care of this person. etc. Are her feelings correct on how she feels about you? 

You can turn things around (most of the time) by saying sincerely, "Mom, I love you. You were always there for me growing up, I appreciate your sacrifices, and while I am an adult, I will always need you in my life. How can I fix our relationship? What do I need to do?" 

When people feel threatened that they are losing something many times people go towards anger. It's the opposite emotion of love, but it's a way to feel "something". I would take what she says out of anger with a grain of salt. She is your mom.

You are living with her and living with anyone can be stressful at times. I have lived with many roommates throughout my life, many times we have disagreements, still, we figure it out and very rarely resort to anger. 

Try your best to resolve this situation by moving forward with love and simply ask her what you can do to resolve your relationship with her and she will let you know. Let her know that you love her. It may take some time so just bear with her. 

You can add a little bit of assistance to help her out, do something nice; clean the floors, wash the dishes, do something to show her that you want a good relationship with her.

If it gives you any comfort it is very difficult to maintain anger with someone who is always showing and giving love. As they say, it takes two to tango. Stop the dance and I am positive things will turn around. :) <3 

Wishing you an amazing life! 

If you’re on lease your safe. Either way if you’ve been paying her rent she’s screwed if you move when lease is up. 

maybe you should move out

She cant throw you out if you are  a leaseholder. I would be VERY wary at leaving precious items where she could find them.

I would be gathering important papers and documents and ensuring she has no access to them. Ditto with anything expensive or sentimental, just in case.

Are you joint leaseholders?