can a name have two origins?

on one website, it says my name is native american and another says it's spanish. so, can it have two orgins?

• Kevin
    Favorite Answer

Yes, and sometimes more, eg Mia is of Israeli, Latin and Scandinavian origin.

Seeing that Spain ruled the roost in the Americas for over 100 years after their discovery by Columbus it is hardly surprising that things got a little mixed. 

Just look at al those Spanish town names in the southern USA, and all those Spanish words used in American English which are not used as native words in British English.

Mesa;  sierra;  canyon;  Los Angeles;  Alamo;  Las Vegas;  Toledo (in Oregon);  etc, etc.

As a youngster in Britain I used to think that 'Pueblo' was the name of a tribe of Native Americans.   On learning Spanish at the age of 70, I recently discovered that 'pueblo' is a Spanish word meaning 'people', and ' village ', and 'small town'.

• Snid

Or course a name can have more than one origin or meaning.