Being 72 years old would you go to a family thanksgiving dinner for fear of the virus?

I am not 72 but if I was 72 there is no way on earth I would be going out and risk getting that virus. You are considered high risk candidate for contracting a deadly form of the virus. The only way I see it being ok to go would be if everyone commits to wearing a mask, or if you, yourself wear a mask. At some point, you would want to remove the mask- temptation would be too strong. I would stay put at home if I were you and watch a good thanksgiving movie on netflix. You have the option to also order thanksgiving pre made meal so no need to cook either if you don't want too.

The virus is deadly therefore I am not willing to put my life at risk for a family thanksgiving dinner or any get togethers no matter how small.  This is not a time to be a people pleaser it could cost you your life.  Ask Herman Cain.  My age is 70 years old. 

• Alan H

If sensible precautions were taken, why not?

Preferably with a smallish group

I am older than that and have recently shared a family outing 

Would I GO for fear of the virus?  No.

Would I STAY HOME for fear of the virus?  Yes.

I'm 79, self-isolated from March until June, and then decided I can't live the remainder of my life self-isolating. Since June I've been seeing family and neighbors and will continue to do so,

Discussing that with my 88 year old mother who 

does not live near me. Her sister is having thanksgiving. Her children, grandchildren are coming in from different states. Some may bring a boyfriend/girlfriend.  None have really practice good safety measures. 

My Uncle is going to his daughters, which is a 2 hour drive. Her boys and their Wives, girlfriends are coming, plus some grandbabies.  They all pretty much only wear a mask when forced to.  

She is going to be very depressed sitting home alone. Not sure what to tell her to do. 

She will probably  end up staying home. 

It depends on the circumstances and you've given basically ZERO details.

Would I go to an airport and get on a plane to go?   No.

Would I go if there were 20 people there all from different pods?   No.

Would I be crazy about eating pot-luck food that was prepared by five different families in five different kitchens probably without masks?   No.

Would I be crazy about raw food or finger food being eaten communally?   No.

Would I be crazy about being crammed around a table with all these people not wearing masks?   No.

But maybe this Thanksgiving isn't that kind of Thanksgiving?   Maybe your family has worked out a plan to minimize risk.

There are ways of having small family gatherings that can be relatively safe if everyone is on the same page with precautions.

Maybe you could go hang out and see people individually before the dinner where you can be six feet apart or even outdoors, but then leave before everyone unmasks and crowds around one table?

We are not clairvoyant about what your family has planned.    You didn't bother to communicate with us very well.   Perhaps you should communicate with them so that you have more information with which to make a reasoned decision.

No.  I would not be going.

Being 84 yo I have actually turned down the invite by my son and his wife to Thanksgiving dinner because the in-laws are also invited.  And together, that makes a gathering of close to twenty people.  While I know my son's family has been abundantly cautious against the COVID19 infection, I have no clue about what the in-laws have been up to.  And several of them are young adults who I fear are the most likely to be virus spreaders.We've also made special arrangements for celebrating Christmas.

Nope I have no fear. (I am 74, does that count?)

Your post is defective, you forgot to include the world  "NOT"

"Being 72 years old would you [NOT] go to a family thanksgiving dinner for fear of the virus?"

i am not 72.