Is getting paid under the table a good idea in Canada?

Right now I'm doing some administrative work for a small company, working 3 days a week 24 hours a week (only has 2 employers and I'm getting 15 dollars cash, and 16 dollars if I go on a paystub), so I'm trying to weight the pros and the cons here. Should I go on official paystub or continue to work under the table? Especially during this coronavirus pandemic?

• Eva

Not legal and not a good idea. You would not be eligible for any benefits based on your employment and you can't use it as proof of income for loan purposes. Not to mention that it's illegal and tax evasion for both you and the employer.

Not only is your employer a crook, he/she is an idiot.   What possible reason could there be for them to pay you a higher wage if they are paying the taxes too?

Do you want any of the benefits that employees get like old age pension credits or workplace injury coverage?   Do you plan on renting a place to live, buying a car, applying for a credit card?   If yes, you will need to be able to prove your income with a pay stub or tax return.

Can you trust an employer who is breaking the law?