Hallie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do dogs feel about soup?

Do they like it? Do they not like it? Do they like it only sometimes? Do they hate soup? Is it okay to give my dog soup? I need to know.

Thank you.

Commercially-available soup is not the best food for dogs,

Sure, they'll eat it.  They'll eat pretty much anything. 

If you make your own broth (chicken or beef, even lamb or pork) and don't add salt, garlic, or onion), and add that to your dog's diet, it probably won't harm your dog.  And I'm sure he'll love it.

But if your dog is a healthy weight and in good body condition, he doesn't need it.  It may add some flavor to an otherwise dry and uninteresting kibble. If your dog is (like mine) one who is prone to dropping weight because of disinterest in its food, the addition of unsalted broth might entice your dog to eat more, if necessary.

I DO sometimes cook some chicken or beef bones with water and mix that with her food, just a bit at a time.  Not every day.  Mine has a bit of a problem maintaining her weight and tends a bit towards skinny.  The vet has said that she's borderline between healthy weight and underweight and would like to see her eating a bit more to maintain good body condition.   

Homemade, unsalted broth is OK to mix with your dog's food IF NEEDED.  Otherwise, no need.  Certainly no need or reason to use a salty and processed commercial soup in place of a nutritionally-balanced food.

if starving they would eat it. check how high the salt content is

I adopted an old dog whose teeth are ok but her gums get inflamed every so often and I have to feed her soup based diets because she can't seem to do any amount of chewing for a while. But I make real chicken, beef, liver or kidney broth. You make it in such a way that all the goodness from the whole chicken (bone, meat, organs everything) is inside the soup and with the veg. I add in her normal vitamin, minerals and oils (fish and primrose oil) and she drinks it. Then we can move back onto solid again slowly as the inflammation goes down. But I only do it because my vet recommended it.

The thing that is sad about many of these answers is, not only is it not good for your dogs,  that junk that many people consider soup isn't good for humans either.

Yet people wonder why they are diseased , fat and disgusting looking or dead.

This is individualized and, depending on WHAT KIND OF SOUP, soup can be dangerous - for example, onions, garlic in the soup.

Instead of asking strangers, why not call your Vet?

I think it has to do with the flavor of the soup.  Canned soups are very high in sodium & not good for dogs.  Homemade soup will have less sodium.  Soups with meat stock would probably be liked.  Depends on the soup & the dog.

Unless it's home-made with minimal salt, I'd not give soup to a dog which for human consumption, will be full of salt and sugar and other preservatives.   Gruel, to get liquid into a dog as the only alternative, maybe.

• Maxi

Not sure why you would be giving soup to a dog, unless it is old, ill and needs a liquid diet and that you make it yourself so know what ingredients are in it......... dog will eat anything  so they 'feel' it is something to eat, however even the 'soups' or brothes made for dogs commercially are not a good option for a dog they are full of salt and chemicals ( same as human commercial soups) and many have toxic ingredients like onions which are certainly not suitable for a dog

Dogs will eat almost anything - that does not eat them - FIRST.  They are scavengers by nature.  They do not NEED soup (no feral dog or wolf would be eating soup - in the wild)  Commercially prepared soups (in grocery stores) are full of HIGH amounts of sodium (aka salt) & other inappropriate - (for dogs) preservatives & food dyes.

Yes, it is possible to make a home-prepared soup with only healthy ingredients, but few (if any dogs) need you to do that, unless your vet suggests it, for a specific purpose.

• ?

Please don't give your dog soup, or any processed human foods. They contain so much, TOO much sodium and sugar and it's not healthy for dogs. Basically, will most dogs, if it smells good, they'll eat it. Hell, if it stinks, they'll eat it. But don't.