If I am in a car crash and it was my fault will I still be covered after the claim is settled?

Favorite Answer

If you’re asking whether your insurance at the time of the collision continues then it depends upon the outcome.

If the other vehicle is repairable then your insurance will continue. Whether the insurer will allow you to renew with them when your cover expires is a separate matter: most will; they’ll just charge for the increased risk.

If the other vehicle is declared a total loss then as soon as your insurer has made that decision, your insurance usually ends; but some insurers will continue until expiry.

If you have full coverage to include your own vehicle damage then your insurance continues if the vehicle is repairable, but absolutely will end if it’s declared a total loss. Again, most insurers will accept you again subject to pricing for the increased risk. 

Note the premium increase for increased risk comes into play *before* any discounts are applied. So even if you have a fully protected no claims discount then your underlying premiums based upon risk will still increase.

Yes - but unless you have accident forgiveness, you can probably expect your premiums to get jacked up for the next 5 years or so.

If it becomes a financial burden you can try getting quotes from some other places (Progressive was surprisingly low, even with my daughter having a wreck on her record), but make sure to get a new policy before cancelling the old one (or letting it expire) otherwise you will have to pay through the nose.

Covered for what?  You didn't say.

maybe but I wouldn't claim it because your insurance will go up by a lot 

• Scott

That's up to your insurance company. 

It depends upon your insurance company.  It may find you to be of an unacceptable risk level.  It may dump you.

My insurance company advertises a "one accident forgiveness".