Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is there a little light on the smoke alarm to indicate it works or not?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Hardwired units (connected to house wiring) will usually show a blink every few seconds.  Battery-only units, no.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the UK, one of my battery units flashes every 30 seconds, the other unit (different brand) does not flash.  Both make strong screech when I press the test buttons.

• 1 month ago

The answer to that question is really two answers, because there are two quite different kinds of smoke detectors. One is a kind of electronic eye; the other's a sort of electronic nose. The eye type of detector is more properly called an optical smoke detector (or photocell smoke detector) and it works a bit like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. Remember the scene when Tom dangles from the ceiling trying to avoid all those light-detecting burglar beams? An optical smoke detector is just like that inside.

• bill
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Stand there and stare at it and see.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

My brand has a little red light that flashes once every minute, but I have never seen it (lack of patience on my part) so I press the TEST button.

• 1 month ago

depends on the brand.  and it usually shows whether or no there is 110v power, not whether it works

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

considering this is you 2nd or 3rd smoke detector post in a few days.  Just for your piece of mind so you can sleep at night just replace it.  If its just a smoke detector go ahead an put a smoke/ carbon monoxide  detector in.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Some have lights others do not. The only sure way to know if it's working OK is to push the TEST button.

• 1 month ago

The flashing red light gives a visual indication that the smoke alarm is functioning properly. It also indicates a working battery is connected to the smoke alarm.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.