Anonymous

This is so stupid why do I need college-level math if I'm enrolled in an acting major, what math do I need to know ?

I technically failed Algebra 1 horribly (took remedial in sophomore, junior, and even senior which is when I took both Algebra and Geometry, my math teacher was forced to pass me for Algebra), but my father knew the principal and were best friends so the principal gave me a pass. 

• fcas80

Are you asking these questions about English, history, science, foreign language, etc. too?  Why should you learn anything other than your major?  Maybe you just take acting lessons?

Maybe some day you'll want to compare two cell phone pricing proposals, take out a loan, compare two investments, think about a presidential candidate's social security position.  Maybe you'll need to do calculations in Microsoft Excel.

Maybe the acting thing won't work out, and you'll want to work somewhere other than in fast foods.

• drip

Well the principal and your father didn’t do you any favors , did they. Allowing to to skip math in HS was stupid. 

Now you have to take math and are not prepared at all. 

You are in the US.  Then you should know a Bachelor degree in any field of study requires general education classes. 

Math helps us learn how to think critically.  

Bottom Line is learn math, take the few classes  of math you need Or don’t go to a university. 

Research acting vocational schools.

Go to a community college. Take remedial math first. See what other math classes they offer bedsides algebra

• John

College is not vocational school.  College graduates are expected to be educated, not merely trained to do a job.  The ability to do math at a certain level is included in the standards to be considered educated.  I would recommend that you either learn how to do the math required, or simply go to an acting school instead of college. 

On a snarky note, don't forget to thank your father for his help in getting you through high school math.  His assistance is really paying off for you now.

Math teaches you how to think, how to approach a "problem" (acting scene) from different points of view ("angles," lol). Memorizing math equations strengthens your overall memorizing abilities, and that you definitely need as an actor.  {Math also enables you to understand contracts, and make sure you are being paid correctly - and that your agent is not ripping you off.}

If you don't know Algebra 1, you shouldn't be allowed in college.

"my father knew the principal and were best friends so the principal gave me a pass."

What about the other kids who were struggling like you but weren't given such an easy pass? Also, this is completely unfair to the kids who actually worked hard and earned a passing grade, you did nothing to earn it but cheated.