To American History buffs: Who were the first Non-Native Americans to discover the Americas?
I heard some Vikings supposedly landed here around 1200 a.d.
- capitalgentlemanLv 71 month agoFavorite Answer
There are many answers, but, some are speculation.
Known for sure: the Vikings, just before the year 1000. Their settlement was found at l'Anse aux Meadows, on the northern tip of Newfoundland, fairly close to Saint Anthony. Another potential site has been found in southwest Nfld, and, work is still being done on this. There are also other possibilities on Baffin Island. Incidentally, the first European known to be born in the Americas was born in LAnse aux Meadows, and his name was Snorri.
- some possible evidence for Vikings well inland in the USA, but, not fully accepted.
- St. Brendan, an Irish monk (known as "the Navigator") in the 800's or so.
- "Albans," a people from England who hunted walrus some time before the Vikings. Farey Mowatt is a proponent of them
- Chinese, and Japanese explorers visiting the West coast
- Polynesians visiting mostly South America. There is very good evidence for this.
- Africans, mostly in Central, and South America
- Phoneticians in a reed boat - it has been proved that it can be done
- and the earliest, the Solutreans, a people from France/Spain who came across the edge of the ice in the last Ice Age, 20-25,000 years ago. There is a fair bit of evidence for them, but, the idea is not uniformly accepted yet.
- Chances68Lv 71 month ago
Well, there's ample evidence that some "Vikings" did, indeed, land in and colonize spots on the Atlantic coast of Canada far before Columbus ran into the Caribbean. However, the Norse were unable to sustain those colonies, and they died out or were withdrawn.
- Gray BoldLv 71 month ago
Leif Erikson (c. 970 – c. 1020) was a Norse explorer from Iceland. He is thought to have been the first known European to have set foot on continental North America (excluding Greenland), approximately half a millennium before Christopher Columbus.Source(s): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson