Kelley asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Have vets developed a forehead no touch thermometer to take animal temps the way doctors for humans do for their patients?

No.   Because of fur, it wouldn't work...   Hair acts as an insulator.   Cats and dogs have varying thickness depending on breed.

I have experimented some with the forehead thermometer on my hairless dog.   The most accurate reading is the inner leg area.

Of course the thermometer registers his temp as a high fever.  A normal range for a dog would be high for a human.

Using it on other parts of his body had varying results..  Even tho he has bare skin.  Likely the reason is the way the body thermoregulates

• *****

I do not believe such a thing would work on pets, which generally have varying thicknesses of fur that would prevent an accurate temperature reading taken at the surface.