"career" change question?

I'm a year away from graduating with my finance degree but have known since the beginning that it wasn't for me. I enjoyed learning the material but I can't see myself working in that field. I've always wanted to be a PA (physician assistant) but self-doubt made it so that I didn't feel like I could ever accomplish it. But I realized that I'm going to regret never giving my dream a shot. I don't know how to go about doing this. I plan of finishing my finance degree because I'm almost done with it anyway but I would appreciate any advice from PAs or PA students on how I can change my career path. Should I stay in school longer to complete my prerequisites for PA school and graduate with my Finance degree? Or should I go back to school to complete a second degree like biology or chemistry? 

Go back to school and earn a second bachelors degree, but do it within 5 years. Plenty of people have 2 bachelors degrees?and 2 masters degrees. I have 3 bachelors degrees. So does my closest friend who is an M.D., but she triple majored at 2 universities. 

• Expat

You've known from the beginning? Odd decision you had to carry on with finance, which is about as unrelated to PA as you can get. I suggest you talk to your advisor and see what's possible with your remaining time and how much it's going to add to your time and cost. Next time, be more proactive in your career decisions and don't wait so long. It's your life. Are you doing finance because your parents think it's what you should do? 

You don’t need a second degree but you do need to take either now or post baccalaureate  all the required classes for PA school, and those are the minimal ones.  You also may need health care experience as well. Go look at a few PA programs on line for their requirements like USC or Duke.  There are PA chat rooms to. You had better plan on getting top grades and other relevant work experience, it’s competitive.

Source(s): PA