Legal Zoom & Additional Fees?

Hi! I'm a New Jersey resident, I need an LLC ASAP, and it's my first time using Legal Zoom.

I'm aware that I could pay a lot less on the Secretary of State website, but I'm on a time constraint.

With that being said, would you recommend purchasing the operating agreement, EIN, and licenses?

Also, would anyone recommend using the Legal Zoom Registered Agent Service or should I just nominate my own.

Favorite Answer

Legal zoom doesn't bypass the Secretary of State process, they submit the documents to the Secretary of State on your behalf.

- It's could be faster in the since that you don't have to draft your own documents, but once submitted it won't be faster.

It takes 5 minutes to get an EIN directly from the IRS.

We have no idea what kind of business licenses you need.  But again, Legal Zoom is not faster, they are just doing the submission for you.

Your operating agreement/bylaws needs to be specific to your company.  Legal Zoom helps you fill in the blanks.  There isn't one that is one size fits all. 

Do you want to be contracted directly in the case of a lawsuit?  Then don't pay for a registered service.  If you want someone else to get this sort of official mail, then do.  What's Legal Zoom's fee?  Most registered agents charge between $100-$125 annually. 

• Eva

Realize that the operating agreement you get from Legalzoom is a boilerplate agreement and may not be suitable for your situation. You don't need to pay them to get your EIN.  You can do it on the IRS website for free in less than 5 minutes. Same with your licenses from your state tax website.  If legalzoom does anything wrong, they won't stand behind it and you'll have to straighten the mess out.  I used them once and will never do it again.

Legal Zoom charges $249 annually for their registered agent service.

And they didn't specify what kind of "licenses" I would be purchasing.

I needed another LLC to start my e-commerce business.

You don't know what you're doing. It's about as smart as jumping into an airplane, starting the engine, then saying, "How do I fly this thing?"

If you're really in a situation where you need an LLC ASAP, you foolishly got yourself into a ridiculous situation and now you're trying to double down. Forming a business entity is very much like getting married. Every day people get drunk with somebody then get married in Las Vegas, only to wake up with a nasty hangover and a spouse they don't remember.

Contact an attorney or accountant who knows what they're doing. It's foolish to think an LLC is a DIY project or something that can be done cheap and easy. You'll find out the hard way.