Is there a material I can use as a sealant that goes between the top side of a tub drain flange and the tub?

I used a black rubber gasket and plumber's putty on the underside of the tub drain flange, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can put on the top, around the flange, where it meets the tub, for extra security against leaks.  Last week I sent water into my neighbor's kitchen because I didn't do a good enough job sealing up the new push/pop drain.  Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

the plumbers putty goes under the drain flange against the tub

you have the flange, plumbers putty, the tub then the washer and nut underneath

some plumbers will use silicone on the fiberglass tubs

yes there is use silicone 

none is needed with the gasket and plumber's putty, if you applied it correctly [had to remove excess all the way around]  -- grampa

Properly installed, there is already plumbers putting between the flange and the top of the drain hole in the tub. Nothing above the flange would be useful.