Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Has Alcoholics Anonymous been made obsolete by the development of more secular scientific methods of treating alcoholism?

@Tr - I have to point out that those features are also found in other recovery groups such as SOS or Lifering and are not limited to AA.

@Adam - The alternative groups also provide that emotional help, it's not limited to AA.

have no idea what that is..never heard an anonymous alcoholic before so why it become obsolete if it never existed???

come on, talk real and stop wasting people's time!

I need a drink!

i tend to crack open a few bottles of beer and come on here, don't know about anyone else but thats what I like to do some nights.

once i'm bored with that, I'll watch a few youtube channels to keep myself occupied before bouncing onto ps4 and spending some time on that and then back online to watch some free docs on youtube.

finally i'll just sit on the chair on my balcony and drink myself to sleep heh

The whole point is some people need social friends,

others don't.They do it alone.

I am an example.

• rick

Yes.                    

i would hope not

AA is something debated by psychologists for a long time. There are those who say it's not supported by solid evidence. It got a lot more support with Project Match, the most elaborate study of psychotherapies ever conducted. They found that the two secular counseling methods and a 12-step program designed for Project Match were equally good. although it raises the question of the long-term benefits of a support group. One expert has commented that the similarity in outcomes shows how important the effects of hitting rock bottom are. There is a secular support group that uses methods from psychology, SMARTRecovery.org. If you're a religion-hater using this as your soapbox, forget what I just said.

• Murzy

They are still needed.

• Troy

Nope, one of the most important uses of the program is the relationships. People who have never developed adequate social skills or emotional maturity due to the use of alcohol have somewhere to go where they can socialize with people that understand this and identify with them. 35+ with the emotional maturity of a 19 year old, it could be tough to develop relationships or find commonality without help.

• Adam

Not sure what advancements you are refine to however, unless those advances include helping people on an emotional level then I’d say AA is still relevant