Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

How to apologize to cop for saying “thanks for not pointing a gun at me”?

So I have a mental illness and communicate like an idiot. These cops came and helped me a lot, lots of work, I believe they saved my life. 

So I write the guys a long thank you note, like 10 pages, telling them they saved my life, trying to show gratitude and honor their work, but one of the things I said was “thanks for not pointing a gun at me when you could have” because I thought he might have been justified. I woke up today and realized that’s just a horrible thing to say to a cop. I’m so embarrassed. I only meant to thank them. Plus, I was unarmed, so I don’t think he’d be justified. 

Should I send an “I’m sorry for my inappropriate thank you note” note? 

I heard one of them shot someone a few years ago, justified, but it still must make him feel awful. God I feel so bad. 

I was trying to honor these men. Help!!

If you can read this, please do!

• Cee

A one page note would be better.

• helene

No, just let it go. I think the guys knew what you meant. 

That note was a big mistake, and it PROVES you have mental health issues.  Are you the least bit aware that a Police Officer can request that you be hospitalized and your mental health evaluated for 72 hours, and that request will be granted?

No, do not contact them again.  And, yes, what a very foolish and inappropriate thing to do.

And sending a "thanks for not shooting" TEN PAGE NOTE to an Officer who was involved in a shooting is just beyond justification.  Does anyone supervise you, do you discuss your behavior before you act?  You are going to eventually be shot if you don't get control of your life.

The fact that you wrote a ten page thank you note tells them you have a mental health issue. They probably understood your message of gratitude just fine. I see no need to contact them to clarify or amend what you wrote.

i dont think you said anything wrong