If you have acted in a play, do you feel like you are actually living what you act, or are you always aware you're acting?

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the script.   The writing style can be unrealistic and thus one is constantly reminded that they are acting out a fantasy.

Most actors have the experience of actually living the the story when they are in a show that is realistic and has emotional depth.  For the most part we still know we are acting.  

If we are lucky we have transcendental moments when everything works together to take us out of the "play" and allows us to "live the moment."   

Those times are a gift and we take joy in being able to experience them as the pinnacle of why we got into acting in the first place.

I have acted in summer stock and local productions and have never felt like the role I was playing was real.

My last role was as an ancient dog (yes, really), so I did not feel like a dog, though I noticed myself making some vocal sounds as fillers which sounded dog-like.  The play involved 4 dogs and 2 humans.  The convention was that the dogs could understand what the humans were saying, but the humans could not understand what the dogs were saying.

Several years earlier I had to have a very heated exchange with an actress, both of us determined to get our own way. I was aware that both of us were barely restrained in our speech, but serious enough in our acting to know what was going on.

I was always aware I was acting.

•  There are different ways to go about it.  In Method acting, you take n the persona of the character and respond in kind. I traditional acting, you behave as the Character is written

Some thing in between the two is usually best.  Flavor the character with your personality, but be faithful to the role

The last time I acted in a play was in high school,and I definitely felt like that I was "acting"....and rather badly at that.

Even at that age, however,  I had peers that were able to get emotionally and psychologically immersed in their roles.  Not surprisingly, most of them continued acting either professionally or ended up in a related field.