What advice could you give me to convince my daughter to accept to sing in a musical in front of hundreds of spectators?

My 10 year old daughter has been chosen to play Cosette in the musical Les Miserables, in different cities in South Korea. She would sing in French, we live in the USA. She was accepted in the casting but she didn't answer yet because she's afraid to sing in front of hundred of people. Before that, she did a web commercial and she said that it was fine, because there were only the camera and a few people, but the stage with a hundred of spectators scare her, in case she has a bad memory and make a mistake. 

I would travel with her. I think the musical is in French, but the songs are in English. We are bilingual. We will be with the French troop. She is really 10 years old. I want to take advantage of the fact that because of covid, it's possible to do online school in her school. This tour is happening in December-January. When arriving in South Korea, there is a 14 day self-isolation.

Just to give you some news. During vacations (10 days), she was at her mum's house in another state. The mom called me today and said that my daughter agrees to go to South Korea with me for 2 months! I am extremely happy. I was afraid that a no would mean: 1) probably the end of her acting/singing dream, 2) a victory of timidity that she may never beat, 3) probably regrets all her life of her bad decision.

Favorite Answer

Don't forget that she will be touring in an unfamiliar country where she probably does not speak the language so she will be very dependent on her minder, though it is probable that English is widely understood in South Korea.

Is she really 10 years old? Ten years? Is she comfortable about being away from home for a long time? What will the education authorities where you live say about her absence from formal schooling for a long time?

• Tina

When is this tour happening? apparently the current Covid 19 risk in Korea is high and people are advised to avoid non-essential travel. It sounds as if your daughter would have plenty of time to get used to the idea.

However, if they are thinking of touring in the near future, do you really want your ten year old daughter to take the risk? It sounds rather odd to me.

While I would normally tell you to let her start rehearsals and see if she can adjust to performing in front of people I realistically can't.   Unless she has already been training for a year or more she may not be able to get past this stage fright and could fail to perform which would end her acting career before it even starts.

A touring company is a professional production and they need actors who can deal with the stress of performing for large audience.  They are not a training ground for somebody who is not mature or well trained enough to give a "professional performance."   

There is a lot of money on the line, also because of child labor laws the production has to hire more than one child actor for the role. If the director sees in rehearsal that your daughter is not ready for this level of performance they will have to replace a lead which can cause serious money and production cost overruns.   

Don't force your daughter to do this.  No actor, producer or director wants to see a young actor fail.