Opinions on buying a used bmw 320 from 2001?

Im a college student and I have to walk 2 hours (4 hour round trip) to go to college. I looked around and found many old bmws in the price range of 1500-2000$. I know that if you're buying a used car, Honda is the best bet but it really doesnt make sense. 2001 bmw which is.. at the end of the day a luxurious car costs 1600$ whereas a 1995 honda costs 2500$ wtf right? I live in a s hithole of eastern europe btw. 

What do you suggest? 

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

While you may find basic parts for your car, any semi serious issue and you're screwed People with parts for that car know no one else has them and will bend you over regularly.

Find a car from where you're from that is worked on by a mechanic you trust. They are out there. Good luck

• Snezzy

Eastern Europe, eh? Get an old Trabant. Ought to be bunches of them around for next to nothing, and if your Trabant dies, you just leave it there and buy another. Or fix it yourself. They are supposedly easy to repair with basic tools. The Trabant is the exact opposite of the BMW.

• CB

By a good bicycle and all weather gear. A BMW in that range will put you back to walking sooner than later.

• Kaz

My opinion (for a college student with limited funds):  Get the Honda.  If anything goes wrong with a BMW it's very expensive to fix.  You could spend more on one repair than the price of the car.  Honda's are reliable and less expensive to repair.

After my new car warranty expired - EVERY time I took my BMW in for scheduled service (oil changes, etc.) it was at least $1,000.00, usually more.  I couldn't have afforded that as a college student.

• Scott

You've got to be kidding. A $1500-$2000 BMW will be junk. A 20 year old BMW will be junk and the most expensive hole you ever dumped money into. Get a Honda or Toyota. Save the luxury car for when you can really afford one.

ever heard of a bike

As long as you have an extra $4000 - $5000 every year to keep it running (as long as nothing major breaks) a BMW is fine . . . . . btw, how far are you from a dealer - who will pick you up and take you back every time it needs repairs??

We had a NEW one - everything covered by warranty  (the new brakes, the new fuel injectors, the new computer, the new fuel pump, etc) but the dealer had it more than we did - got rid of it within 2 years and took a BEATING on the value.

BAD IDEA. Expesive maintenance. Expensive parts and low reliability compared to Toyota, Honda and Mazda. A college student doesn't need a luxury car, you need basic transportation.

The BMW will cost you too much to keep it running. A 2001 will bankrupt you.

Old BMWs are money pits. AVOID.  Mazda3 is good too. Even a hyundai or kia is better than a BMW and you could get something a lot newer.

But you can't count on $1500-2000 cars to be reliable. $3000-4000 gives you a better chance.  

If you can't afford that consider a bike or motorcycle.