Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 2 months ago

Why do podiatrists say flip flops are bad for the feet? Shouldn't they be saying the opposite?

Podiatrists say that flip flops are bad for the feet and that we should be wearing supportive, enclosed shoes instead. But aren't shoes bad as well? Think about it, if it's 90+ degrees out, do we really want our feet enclosed in hot stuffy shoes (with socks too for added warmth)? With flip flops, your feet breath and also have freedom to spread too since they are not confined in shoes. So flip flops should be better for the feet, no?

Favorite Answer

Flip flops provide no support. I can’t wear them for any length of time without my feet hurting. Flip flops aren’t much better than being barefoot. They certainly won’t protect your feet from the environment. Sneakers provide arch support and cushion. They make it more comfortable to stand for long periods of time. Supportive shoes help people stand with better posture, and absorb some impact from walking and running. Flip flops are basically useless for that. I like to wear sneakers all summer, and my feet don’t smell. I always wear clean socks, and I buy sneakers that have breathable mesh. 

No, because podiatrists are all about caring for the structure of the foot. Regular flip flops do not offer support for your arches or anything.

Flip-flops aren't bad for your feet if you can find the right kind. My grandmother has a pair with arches to support her feet and she wears them constantly, no pain.

Sneakers are the best for your feet. 

So you know better than people with an education? You sound a little stupid, so if it's all the same with you, I'll listen to people who actually know what they're talking about. 

Shoes provide arch support.  Flip flops do not.

Well I am not saying that they are bad for your feet, but they do not have much support like regular sandals to. Most sandals has arch support and a heel strap.

So you think shoes evolved over thousands years because they weren't needed?

• kelvin

no doctor ever said that so how about you quit making garbage up

• Mark

The cheap ones (and most people buy the cheap ones because they're, well... CHEAP) have no arch support at all, and that little strap between the big tow and the one next to it irritates some people.  Plus, have you EVER tried to run in flip-flops?