D50
D50 asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

How does the Medicare Coverage Helpline make money?

I see Joe Namath on TV all the time pitching this business. Are they a broker for Medicare Advantage plans who make a commission when you sign up for one? They don't seem to be an actual insurance provider at all.

They are COMMISSIONED agents for the companies whose policies they sell.

They make money the same way as any other independent insurance agents.

It is an insurance company.  MY OPINION:

Medicare doesn't advertise like that.  My guess is that the one you are talking about is some kind of Medicare Advantage program, where you pay all of your Medicare to them and they provide you with an HMO type thing.  

The problem with those are a couple:  1.  You are stuck only going to the medical treatment facility they let you use so even if there is a new cure at some other place, it won't pay for it.  2.  Once you go to something like that, if you want to go back to a plan where you get a different level of care, you will have to go through underwriting and may have to have a physical, etc.  

That is why I pay extra and I will as long as I can afford it to have a good plan.

Everyone of those "help" lines is operated by a private insurance company trying to sell you their own HMO Advantage plan. They only know what coverage you have now when you tell them -- they don't have access to Medicare records to "look up" anything. They are affiliated with Medicare, but only as an authorized Medicare insurance carrier.

Benefytt Technologies is a Referral and Brokerage Firm that makes money by soliciting  Medicare or referring to other medical assistance plans. They usually receive referral money or commissions based on who covers your plan. They are a reputable company and they have been around for years. They don’t pass along cost to you for your the service, the money they make is from either referral and or commissions. Not a bad way to go if you want additional coverage in terms of services or equipment that Medicare alone might not cover. However I’m not a big fan of celebrities putting in plugs for things like this. ie. Tom Selleck and his plugging of Reverse mortgage when he has never been in a position of needing one is a bit too much to take.

I have seen this commercial several times. I do not believe it

The bottom line is that most doctors and dentist do not accept Medicare.

I always liked Joe Namath, as a kid I even met him once, and threw a football around with him,  a great memory in my life. but shame on him now. for pitching this business. he represents as a broker. that does not have the bet interest of the consumer. 

They do from companies worldwide. 

• fcas80

They are NOT non-profit.  Nor are they independent.  They are trying to steer you into their company. 

Within one company, there are a variety of coverages, copays, limits, etc.  However, most companies offer these same options.

The Medicare Hotline is NOT a nonprofit

It is owned by TogetherHealth, PAP, LLC, a licensed agency which is a subsidiary of Benefytt Technologies, Inc.

Benefytt Technologies, Inc will either write (broker) the medicare policy or get a referral fee from another agency. 

They are a non-profit 501-C

• Murzy

They get a commission on every person they enroll.