Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 1 month ago

Would other Jews, mainly Sabras, find it offensive if I put 8 small candles + 1 bigger candle in my birthday cake to represent shamash? ?

When I born it was Hanukkah and I am happy this year my birthday is going to be in Hanukkah again. And I had the idea to make a birthday cake with 8 candles + a bigger one to represent Shamash. But I am thinking if other Jews would find it offensive, mainly the Sabras. I was not born in Israel. It is supposed to be happy time, not an offensive moment. So please help me. 

Dont forget to bidday your bahind Analonymous, after you pull out of it them big phat candles that youre talkin about.

No they wouldn't. Most would not care if you wanted a Channukah birthday cake. What you do in your own home is not our business. Do you live in Israel? Why do "Sabras - Tzabarim" opinions matter? Most Jews and Israelis would think you are a crazy goy and laugh about it if they knew. In conclusion we don't care.

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
  • TNO

To be blunt, most Jews would find it weird, moreso than actually being offended. However, some would find it offensive if you were taking only surface-level, cosmetic things about the festival and not really engaging with it. Basically, some would see it as a form of cultural appropriation if you yourself weren't Jewish.

Whether one is a Sabra or a Jew in the Diaspora (outside of Israel) makes no difference here. Jews in the Diaspora have the same credentials to make judgments on this as Sabras.

Abdul,

You forgot to change avatar.

You last "question" was Israelis do the same things as Nazis in Germany".

And now you not only know about Jewish Holiday Hanuka, but also remeber that you was born when it was Hanuka...

Muslims spies are stupid.

But most stupid one is Bravo Sierra...