Are the following sentence grammatically correct?

I feel the need to take action. 

I feel necessity to take action. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The fist sentence is correct.

The second sentence is wrong. It could be corrected easily by adding the word 'the' before 'necessity' ("I feel the necessity to take action") but it would be an unusual way to say it.  Another simple correction would be to change it to say "I feel it necessary to take action". That would be more a more natural way to say it.

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The second should have "the" before "necessity", but the first is fine.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

First is good, and is the form that most people would use.

Second should read: "I feel the necessity of taking action."  Very few people would speak or write as formally as that.

• 1 month ago

a necessity could work.  not just necessity by itself though.  Not a generic or general necessity, a particular necessity ("a") even if not a specific necessity ("the").

Note how you did use "the" for "need" in the previous sentence, and rightly so.  You declare a very specific need, the need.

The second sentence has the very same requirement as the first, to tell us if there is a specific ("the") necessity (need) or a particular even if not identified ("a") necessity (need).  You simply need to substitute necessity for need.  They are synonyms after all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The first one appears errorless.

The second one can be...

I feel the necessity of taking action.

" necessity for something/ necessity of doing something/ necessity to do something".

The second sentence lacks the definite article " the " to be put in front of " necessity"  to be a correct sentence.

• 1 month ago

No, only the first sentence is grammatically correct.

I feel the need to take action. 

The second sentence is missing the article "the" before necessity.

I feel necessity to take action. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

First is OK, Second isn't . That still needs the definite article:

I feel the necessity to take action.  I feel it is necessary to take action.

Most people would simply say, I feel I have to take action

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.