Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Is it worth it to get a washer & dryer if only doing about 1 load of each per week also given the Covid pandemic is it safe to buy used ones?

I do have access to a washer and dryer walking distance from my apartment, however more and more tenants at my apt complex aren't wearing masks also even before the pandemic I was thinking about this as it'd allow me to do laundry when I want to and not rely on hours it's open .. On the other hand I'm on a limited income and don't have much extra space at my apartment. Please be sure to include what you see as pros as well as cons to having your own pair of such appliances & answer my initial q.

Where I do laundry, it costs 1.50 USD to wash what fits in a load, 1.00 to dry what fits in a dryer (each cycle) and I use a very low priced laundry detergent .. so having my own machines would be more due to the convenience factor as it would take awhile for me to wash / dry so much with my own machines to make up for their cost .. 

You can buy a small combination machine with one stacked on top of the other. I would always buy new because people only sell machines when they are worn out, and you will spend more money on repairs than you would on a new one.

Otherwise keep doing what you are doing, but stay well away from the idiots without masks, even though you wear one. 

First--yes, used machines are safe--any viruses would be killed by the detergent and hot water. 

Second, if you DO buy a used set, look for either a (1) combination washer/dryer machine--(one machine that does both) or a (2) small, apartment sized stackable set. 

Third--it will pay for itself in no more transportation costs, risks to you from going to a laundromat, and cost of the actual laundry fees for a laundromat. You shouldn't really care if it pays for itself immediately--it always will eventually. If you can find a good used washer/dryer set or combo, you can always sell it later if it seems to be costing too much to run--but I'm betting it never will. 

Don't buy the first thing you see either--look around carefully. Look for a used appliance store where they also do installation and repair--I'm betting you will find a nice model that fits your needs.  I have purchased several used machines over the past 40 years and never had any issues with them. I've also bought new ones. The used ones lasted just as long as the used ones did!

Besides DOING the laundry you save the time and expense of a trip to the laundromat, so imo - yes. And yes, safe to buy used. COVID germs do not last long on metal. If a private sale, you can wash them down with Lysol before handling, moving, and using.

pandemic schmandemic soap and hot hot water kills the bastid

What other tenants do is not your concern.  Wear a mask and social distance where you can and NO HUGGING.  You will remain disease free. (think of it like spray painting...wearing a mask stops the airborne paint particles from going up your nose(it doesn't...but it stops the majority of them particles. You can't stop it all, but close. Add in the distancing factor and it will NOT BE YOU THAT KEELS OVER (from the virus DONALD never had)...but just said he did to see if the sympathy votes is greater than the "MACHO MAN" VOTE.  It wasn't, which is why he tossed the mask con.

As to your problem. Discuss this with your building handyman.(or LL) Strange your building does not have washers&dryers owned by building and a laundry room? You still have coin machines, but they are more heavy duty than an apartment unit you buy yourself.  Most apartments have them for the tenants. One room with 6 washer machines and same dryers.

As for buying a used machine. Yes that is safe because the machine does not have LUNGS....and is already dead.

Covid does not live in washing machines...............

• Barry

It's not wise to buy a used machine unless it has been refurbished and has a warranty. Personally I would always buy new for peace of mind. Yes it's worth getting a machine to eliminate hassle.,

• Mark

Of course it's safe to buy used ones, and it is worth it, unless you get off on dragging your clothes to the laundromat, where someone has probably washed unrinsed diapers in cold water.