Autumn asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I had to kick my son out because l found him shooting heroin. He is 28. I thought he had mental illness because of his behavior. Was l wrong?

I hope you gave him the option of going to a detox before throwing him out. I would not live with a heroin user myself as before long they'd start stealing from me to pay for their habit. I have known addicts who thought they had mental illnesses, but after some time clean realised the drugs had been causing the symptoms.

You should have tried to get him help! BEFORE kicking him out, he can just get MUCH worse! As a mother of 5 I WOULD NEVER KICK MY KIDS OUT, NEVER!!! If something happens to him for being out on the streets homeless it will be on you dear, I am sorry if I could take him in I would!

Source(s): Catholic

He’s your son. Why would you kick him out? Don’t you love him? Why don’t you just try to get him help? Do you think he would be shooting up heroin if he wasn’t having some problems? At least he was at home he would be in a somewhat protected environment and you could try to watch over him. If he’s doing that and he’s living on the street he could get robbed, beaten, killed.... Maybe die out there of an overdose, alone and feeling forsaken, and maybe the last thing he’ll be wondering is why his father didn’t care. Do you remember him when he was a little baby? Well there still that little baby and everybody. I changed my sons diapers when he was a baby. I am a father too. 

I fed him his bottle. I Built Legos with him, taught him how to drive a stick shift, was there when he was growing up despite a nightmare divorce. He was being abused by his stepfather but since his mother worked for the court nobody ever listen to me. And when I tried to protect him from that they wouldn’t let me see him. But I still love my son.

And unlike somebody who’s answer I was reading below, I don’t believe in all this “Tough love” garbage. You can use that to justify any kind of abuse. My sons stepfather who abused my son while he was growing up use that also. What a big f—ing lie.

No.  Tough love.   Hopefully he will seek help now that he is homeless.  I suggest that you pray for him.  If you have never asked Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Savior, now would be a good time.  Please read the New Testament for more information.  I suggest starting with the Gospel of John.  God hears the prayers of His children.  Also, look for a Bible-believing church to attend.  Ask the pastor for counseling and prayer.  Some Baptist churches have a group that meets on Friday evenings for people who have addictions. 

I understand your shock but kicking him out is not going to help him overcome his addiction. If anything it might make it worse cause he no longer has to hide anything. Heroin isnt like weed where being shunned from you might be enough to get him to want to sober up. What he needs right now is lots of support.

Nope! He's over 18, as you say? I know from personal experience that family can be the worst. They can cut the deepest on a individual.

You have family rules and this "broke the camels back!" I'm sure that your the type of personality that may forgive to much in my eyes. I'm just maybe more stern then you?

Sadly, we live in a world of Trolls. Even now, I have to wonder if your such or not. Hopefully what answer I did give helps?

He will dies soon so you will have to decide if it was a good idea.

We have no way of knowing this. It's possible that he's just abusing heroin, but it's also possible that he has both a mental health problem and a drug addiction. There are dual-diagnosis places for this type of situation.