Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I terminate my parental rights?

My ex wife has a protection order against me for assault, i currently have a misdemeanor and im fighting another felony from something else that she caused as well. She said as long as i live she always try to sabotage my life and put me in jail. I hardly see my kids and now i wont see them at all. But i want to cut all ties with her. I want nothing to with her.

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    You might be able to get a protection order against her but it is not likely it will affect your child support obligations.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    As long as it's not in an attempt to avoid child support you probably could. But it's not your kid(s)' fault you chose this person to be their mother. Think long term on this. Someday they'll be adults and it would be nice to be able to have a relationship with them. 

  • 1 month ago

    Sure.  You will still owe child support.

  • 1 month ago

    There's nothing stopping you from surrendering your parental rights. If you want to keep as much distance between you and your wife, you can have the state handle your child support payments (you can't get out of having to keep paying those). That way, she can't claim you never paid her since the state will accept your payment and have a record that you made it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    In some States, yes.  In other States, no.  WHERE?

    In general you can apply to have your RIGHTS terminated.  That does not change child support.  Your child support obligation ends when someone ADOPTS your children.

    You can terminate your rights, have no right to visit with the children, cannot contact them, but be ordered to pay child support.

    IF your wife is threatening you, turning your children against you, don't you think you have an obligation to get the children away from her and to a safe place?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.