The garage down the street just quoted me $2,000 for a complete exhaust system replacement from the manifold all the way to the bumper..?

Is that a reasonable price? F-150 Ford 2002.

Update:

They said it needs a complete exhaust system replacement just to pass inspection.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Go to CAR-PART.com or ROCKL AUTO to get the REAL prices of these items! I would think about $4-500 for parts and hundred for labor. IF you had a perfect AIR/FUEL mixture this MAY have not been necessary! TYPICALLY the exhaust rots from the INSIDE OUT from acidic gas burn remnants! Use DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM plugs and PENNZOIL PLATINUM OIL to prevent this in the future! You will be doing the ENVIRONMENT a big favor as well! 

• 1 month ago

If it includes the Cats, sensors and labor, your probably in the ballpark.

• 1 month ago

That seems very high,Get an estimate at a different shop.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Get a couple more quotes as some mechanics are rip offs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andy C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Get a 2nd quote.   Seems pretty normal for a manifold,  muffler, cat, exhaust tube.

• 1 month ago

If they are replacing everything behind the exhaust manifold, that is actually fairly low.

If they are starting behind the Catalytic converter, it sounds high. Clarifying exactly what they are replacing is important.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go some place else and get another estimate.  Depending on where you live prices can vary a lot (but that sounds a bit too pricey).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Usually the catalytic converter isn't changed. A Magnaflow complete system is about $750. A new converter would cost about $1500. That's well over $2000 for everything. You have to know what's included before you can decide the value. Ask if the converter is included.

• 1 month ago

Go to a different shop!

A lot depends on what state you live in. In California (and those who also use CAFE standards) the parts have to be CAFE certified. This can drive up the cost big time. Where I live, I can go down to a exhaust shop and they will bend pipes to fit. They can use weld in cats. So I would have to pay less here.

My gut feeling is the shop thinks you are an easy mark and have deep pockets. So at least get a few other estimates on the job. It might be the best price you can find.

Check around- you might be able to find a replacement truck for that price! More so if you trade it in.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Be sure they guaranty it will pass the state inspection.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.