john
john asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

Is Yahoo! going to do away with its Questions and Answers site?

I got an email from Yahoo that I didn't quite understand but it sounded like Yahoo was going to discontinue this Questions and Answers site in a couple of months.  Is this true?  Or did I misunderstand what I read?

• Robert

Hello John,

No. It is the Yahoo Groups (something different) which is being discontinued.

As I am unable to post questions because they are immediately "ghosted" (No ! - Placing any URL for the question within an Update does not help, neither does moving the question between categories help either), perhaps people would like to consider why apparently only my answers may sometimes get all their paragraph-breaks removed. See example here:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20201...

Highly doubtful that they have or will announce a closure of YA! in 2020. Verizon/Oath just recently revamped the site in a new slew of changes just earlier this year. They :  altered some of the formatting, removed the highly abused ability of level 7s to move questions, altered the points/level system so that questions no longer deduct points but violations are more likely to be removed, etc. 

All of those changes take at least some time to think of and implement. Any consideration of a shutdown of the site will be then not even be started to be planned until several months after that---let alone announced. 

The volume of Q&A has certainly diminshed over the years. They likely need to determine if the expense of maintaining it is worth the ad revenue generated. In other words does the Q&A section make money or lose money?

• ?

No.   Either you are being dishonest or you got an email from a scammer.  If you clicked on the link you may want to do a check for malware.

• Daniel

No Yahoo is not Closing down its Site you may have gotton a Notice from a Fake person Pretending to be Yahoo 

Just Ignore It 

That's nothing but a rumor, something you must never believe. What that email said, as you misread, was Verizon is shuttering Yahoo Groups in December. If Verizon wants to shut down Answers, they will let us know about it well in advance.

• Gorgia

I sure as hell hope not but they keep chipping away at stuff. 

• .

Yes, some day it will. However, there is no reason to believe it will be any time soon. I've not received any email such as you describe, but one was sent out regarding Yahoo Groups closing later this year. Some have also received an email that there will be changes in how Yahoo Mail works with third party apps.

You could copy/paste the contents of the email so that other users might try to interpret it. We have no way to know if you 'misunderstood' what you read, because we don't know what you read.  There would be a flood of questions in this subcategory had such an email been sent by Yahoo/Verizon en masse. 

• Sharon

Yahoo Answers is not closing. That is a false rumor.

No, they're shutting down Yahoo Groups in December, a complete separate platform. It may be associated with the Q and A platform, but it is not Yahoo Answers.