Noeli asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How to emotionally shut down?

I’m experiencing some extreme levels of anxiety over the more extreme levels of anxiety I’m going to feel later. I have to go through a stressful situation in which the environment is really scary. 

It’s everything leading up to it that bothers me, the environment, the tensions, it’s just a ritual that triggers a lot of anxiety. Normal coping mechanisms don’t work for me this time. 

The only thing that seems to work here is completely shutting off either my physical awareness or my emotional response. 

I’ve googled everything from “how to delete your brain” to “how to dissociate on purpose” to “how stop make not think”. 

I don’t have a lot of time left and my brain has kicked into emergency defence mode.

Stay at home. Dont bother with friends. Stop caring about people. Game all day. Watch TV all day.

Seek a counselor. Shutting down won't get rid of the problems. 

Otherwise, try building up the worst-case scenario in your head. Really build it up to the worst possible result you can imagine for whatever you're facing. Then just acknowlege it. Just that it's there and it's a thing. Don't fight the fear or anxiety. Just say to yourself that "ok, I'm fearing this" and understanding you're ok being in that place and safe. Then imagine it as a black cloud and blow it away.