Sassy
Lv 4
Sassy asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why do cats like to chase bugs and then eat them?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Yes, it is because of their hunting instincts. They really enjoy chasing and playing with the prey. They sometimes snatch it with their teeth and then release it again. My cat does that and sometimes kill them without eating it. 

• 1 month ago

That's a perfectly normal cat behavior. It's due to their natural predatory instinct, similar to how they may chase rodents and birds as well.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hunter instincts

• 1 month ago

i think they have a hunting instinct

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They have a hunting instinct, because before the Ancient Egyptians tamed them, they lived off of bugs and rodents.

• 1 month ago

Hunting instinct.

• 1 month ago

It's all instinct. They love to chase, hunt, stalk, and kill. My cats do this with every bug that enters our home. We see a fly buzz in, and we're not too worried about it. In less than 24 hours, that fly is cat food. They will hunt that thing for HOURS, so free cat toy, too, LOL. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because bugs are part of their natural diet.  Cats hunt and eat meat.  Cats are too small to catch large animals.  They don't like water so fish are out (and it's not good for them).   So they eat any meat they can get their paws/jaws on.    That includes bugs, birds, rodents, lizards and rabbits if they can catch them. 

• 1 month ago

Instinct.  For how many centuries before they adopted humans did cats have to survive by catching and eating bugs and anything else that moved?  That instinct still has not left them.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Extra protein?              

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.