What were your first purchases of 'pop' music?

Do you fellow senior citizens remember all the words of some of the songs we used to buy when in our teens? I'm 77 now so am going back 60 years at least. I liked Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers and then the British pop stars began to appear - Tommy Steele was the first one I remember.  I remember most of the words of the songs that I liked at that time.

• kswck2

The first 'record' I got as a kid was Grand Funk Railroad Survival. I wore it out. And I managed to accumulate Everything they recorded. To this day, I still like them. 

Mine was a forty five of "Sherry" by The Four Seasons

When I was 15 and had just left school I bought my first record player which only took one record at a time - no stacking on that one.  My brother bought me a few records for my birthday that day and one was Buddy Holly (an E.P. with 2 songs on each side - one of the songs was "That'll be the day" and another - I think - was Rave On). Another record was Tommy Steele but I forget the song titles - it was a single with one song on each side. This would have been around 1958 - 59 not very long after I started my first job.

Yeah, I'm 77 too.  I think my first record was Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock."  These days I can't remember what day of the week it is, but I do remember lyrics and melodies of a whole lot of songs that I listened to 66 years ago.  Go figure!

The beatles record  all my loving 

• Snid

The first 45 rpm record I purchased was Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers.  I have an older sister and she influenced my musical likes.  I was really into the British Invasion with the Beatles being my favorite.  I remember the words to a lot of songs from my youth.

• ree

I'm 10 yrs. younger. I'd guess Fun, Fun, Fun ... -Beach Boys (1964). An interesting side note ... remember those top 40 sheets we could pick up at the record store? In 1965, "I Got You Babe" was number 1. A little farther down at number 7 was, "It Ain't Me Babe".

• Phil M

The first recording I remember buying was Boston's first album, on 8-track.

Cliff Richard singing Move It on Oh Boy! And 6.5 Special with Don Lang and his Frantic Five!

K-Tel Rock '80 album.   I was ten years old.