Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is this sentence correct?

I think that 8 years old is the best age for children to start learning a foreign language.

• Willie

Do you think 8 years old is the best age for children to start learning a foreign language?

Remove "old" and you're good to go.

I think eight years is the best age for children to start learning a foreign language.

That is certainly one correct way to express that idea.

Note that I started French at school at 8.

• Lôn

Yes, that is correct.

• Zirp

grammatically, yes

However, I believe that the best times to start learning a language is either when you don't yet have fixed language habits (i.e. when you are a baby) or once you've learned how to express your thoughts and feelings in your native language (i.e. when you are 12-14).

Apparently, elementary-schools in Germany have experimented with teaching English to 8-year-olds, but stopped when they found that the children didn't learn enough German.

however, there's nothing wrong with starting to learn a language at 20 or 50

It is correct but it would be better to put it like this.

I think eight is the best age for children to start learning a foreign language.

• A.J.

The grammar is correct and sentence is clear.

I think 8 years old is the best age to learn a foreign language.

"that" is unnecessary in this case.

All 8 years old are children, so that is redundant.

We can say that learning is never complete, so all learning is the start of learning. 

I provided a shorter version that is also correct in grammar and provides the same information.

• Sandy

sooner than that. they're like sponges.