Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Is it wrong of me to sell something after agreeing to sell it to someone else?

The whole story. I had a wrecked vehicle with a good engine. A guy was coming around asking about the engine and I told him I would pull it and sell it to him for $200. He agreed and said he would be by later in the week to get it. I immediately pulled it. That was almost two months ago. The rest of the junk went to the scrapyard already. He comes by every now and then to see if it's still here but hasn't given me any money. Would it be wrong to sell to someone else?

Favorite Answer

I would've already sold it to someone else when he didn't show up later that week with cash in hand.

I remember when my boss was selling his old truck - a guy came by and expressed interest, but then another guy showed up and bought it with cash.

The first guy came back to complain because he 'was interested in it', and my boss said, 'yeah - this other guy was apparently more interested, because he actually bought it'.

Nope, you agreed to one week. It's still in your possession & he didn't give you "in Ernest" or a down.

Nope. Money talks.

"later in the week"  is far different from 2 months later.  he won't commit to giving you the cash?  Then it is gone to someone else IF THEY SHOW ME THE MONEY.  That simple.

He had his chance and is probably drinking it away.

• CB

Just tell him (to be nice only) that you are putting the engine up for sale on craigslist or letgo, at some predetermined date so if he is at all serious and he still wants it you will need payment in full by that date. You owe him NOTHING so you are actually doing him a kindness by setting a date for the sale - Money talks, BS walks.

Not at all................ He did not pay "later in the week" as he said so I would have already been trying to sell it to someone else.

You've given him plenty of time and he's done nothing but look at it.

If you shook his hand, it's a binding agreement. If not, sell it to another buyer.

After 2 months, you’re free to sell it to anyone you want unless he put down a deposit. 

• ?

Tell him if he no longer wants it there is someone else who wants it