Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why does God want us to believe him by faith instead of evidence ?

Update:

Anything can be believed by faith.

Update 2:

All kinds of crazy lies can be believed by faith too.

49 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

This passage addresses the issue... 

John 4:24 KJV — God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

That demands faith, and a lot of it.

From the very beginning, God tested for faith in his word, for God IS his word. With Adam, it was Gods spoken word. With us, its his written word. 

John 20:29 KJV — Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

• 1 month ago

Romans 1:20

New International Version

20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Its the bible, let God be the judge of those who claim or believe otherwise. Maybe we have "hard hearts".

Psalm 145:9

New King James Version

9 The Lord is good to all,

And His tender mercies are over all His works.

• 1 month ago

In the Bible, faith follows hearing of the good news about Jesus Christ. That is faith based on the evidence explained by those who knew Him personally over a period of 3+ years witnessing all He did and hearing all He said.  Those witnesses of God incarnate wrote down their evidence for millions of people down the centuries to read and to come to faith as they had done. That shows two lines of evidence God has provided, as a basis for faith in Him - the person of the Son of God walking on this planet, whose job was to lead humans to the Father, and the written record of God's dealings with humanity.

There's a third line of evidence God has provided to encourage faith in Him. That is the visible, experiential, tangible work of His hands - material creation. Put all three together and you have three complimentary ways in which God has provided reasonable evidence upon which to base our faith in the invisible God. Faith in God is warranted. God Himself has encouraged humanity to consider all three lines of evidence so that we will put our faith in Him.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not true.

Faith means TRUST. You can't have a relationship without it. Trust is the glue that holds relationships together.

God - The Life Force that created the galaxies - says you already believe in him.... I won't get into why... but there is no such thing as an "atheist" to God; there are just people who delude themselves - we call them 'godless', pagans and heathens. I used to be one... so I'm not judging you.

"Decide for yourselves." Jesus instructs us. 

Look - honestly without bias and bigotry - then come to your own conclusion. 

But how can you decide whether or not Jesus is who he claims to be if you don't know him? How can you know who he is if you can't be bothered to examine the evidence?

It's a fatal choice to be complacent or lazy about this. If you can't even be bothered to get up and seek mercy for yourself, can I motivate you to do it? If you won't listen to Moses, the prophets and the apostles, why would you listen to anything I have to say?

Jesus called himself 'teacher' and 'Lord'. Go to him and see what it is he wants to teach you. If he is the Lord he claims to be, he himself will reveal that fact to you. He doesn't need me to do it, nor could I.

PS. God can raise children for Abraham from the stones if he wants. He doesn't need any of us (but with eternal gratitude and humility I am happy to declare he wants us).

If you choose to dismiss the offer of salvation, you are correct: by default a terrifying Christ-less eternity awaits.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Wundt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Christian doctrine claims that God demands faith because, ultimately, all they have is faith to make their claims.  Faith that the Bible is the word of God.  Faith that God is real.  There is no valid (consistent, verifiable) evidence for the Bible or for God.  There is no reasoning to support their claims that doesn't rely on fallacies like presupposition and infinite regression.  And, if all they have is faith, then they have nothing, because faith is literally "belief without reason to believe," and that is, really, nothing.

• 1 month ago

The question is phrased as an assumed conclusion:  You already believe a deity exists.  In order to ask that question, you must first actually demonstrate that a deity indeed does exist.  THEN, you can ask that question without the assumed conclusion of existence.  Religion is an assumed conclusion based on suspect claims from dubious sources supported by logical fallacies nested within circular reasoning bringing you back to the assumed conclusion.  It is dishonest to assert as fact that which is not evidently true.  This is why religion is so dishonest.  It tries very hard to assert as fact things that we already know are not true or even possible.

• 1 month ago

There is little evidence, we didn't have anyone making records when He created the universe.

• 1 month ago

There is only one way to see God and that's through faith or belief, no man while living in this physical body could look upon God and live, He's that powerful, think of yourself standing in the mist of an atomic explosion, could you live? doesn't matter whatever your concept of God is, it's going to be wrong, God is a spirit and you nor anyone else can see a spirit, rather than wanting to physically see Him, it would be better for you to focus on His likeness instead of His image, God is Love and God is Good, wherever you find Love and Good together, you can see Him, Love and hate don't mix nor does good and evil, this belief of needing evidence is a dead end road and shouldn't even be considered when anyone is searching for proof of God, it's a futile journey that produces nothing but debates and pointless arguments, if your really sincere about wanting evidence from any God, try Jesus, obey His commandments and He said He would reveal Himself to you

• 1 month ago

That's what people think God wants.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It isn't a matter of one or the other. He provides basic evidence that allows us to believe in Him, and the more we grow in our faith, the clearer that evidence becomes, and the more evidence we discover. It's like a circle. Evidence results in increased faith, which results in increased evidence, which results in increased faith, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.