Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Could my daughter be depressed?

She is 17 and I had her skip a grade, so she’s in college now but is living at home doing online classes. Anyways, for a few months now I’ve noticed that she looks sad most of the time. She barely smiles anymore and never seems to be in the mood for anything. I’m also sure that I’ve heard her crying at night some days too. The friends that she had moved away to other schools. She’s a little shy and keeps to herself a lot. Spends just about the entire day in her room. I’ve asked her if anything is wrong and she says it’s nothing. Although, she did say that something “doesn’t feel right and doesn’t know what it is”. She doesn’t have a boyfriend, but I heard her talking to someone on the phone saying that she wanted to try having a relationship at some time. I don’t know what’s going on with her. I’d prefer to keep the choice of taking her to a doctor as a last resort. How do I help her?

3 Answers

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    i think its possible, maybe she should get some counseling

  • T J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Skipping a grade did not do her any good, she lost all of her friends, and she will have very hard time due to her age to fit into college.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Do you love your daughter? Because it sounds to me like every other parent who after their child commits suicide turn round and says "I had no idea"

    She is giving you every sign that she is about to, or at least thinking about taking her life.

    My advice? Sit her down.. No computer, no phone, no work,  nothing else to distract her from what she wants to tell you. Don't take "no there is nothing wrong" for an answer because it is clear to me in one paragraph that there IS.

    You don't need a doctor you need to let her know her being upset is no longer an option. If she wants to cancel the classes, fine whatever it is you need to find out and do it quickly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.