sayoko asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

What breeds do you think my little mutt is?

This is Sawyer he's one of the cutest dogs my family has had, he was rescued from some sick backyard breeding operation we don't want to do DNA tests because they're expensive and not always accurate so I ask your opinions.

-We do know he's part lab as his mom was a lab

-Based on his ears we think he's part Curr because they fold back

-You can't see it but his paws are a bit large

-He points sometimes

-He's crazy smart (as in opening doors and knowing certain words like collar, he learned how to sit when he was 3 months old and knew his name around that time as well)

-He's strong, despite being around 40~50 pounds trying to walk him is like walking an 80 pound lab

-He has extra skin on his chest which is a fighting dog trait

-The vet said his face shape was pit bull

-In the morning he wants to go as in play/fight

-He has a long tail in proportion to his body

-He sleeps like a pit bull I know(His name was Dalton) (showing his junk to the world)

-He has a large bite force and loves Tug O' War

Dear Sarcastic People, 

We KNOW he is more than one breed and I asked this question out of the pure fun of guessing what breed he is, and for the people who are getting defensive about me saying he might be part Pit please put a sock in it, it's just that the way he slept was too similar to a Pit I knew, then THE VET said he looked like a Pit so I thought mystery solved.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNYIzvUpz5ka9izp_...

Here are some more pictures to look at, I don't have a lot because heaven forbid he sit still while you take his picture

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6iIrX7tKzIuqUYvx...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sf-fx7qPlwwnn-9DM...

I probably should have said this in my original post, he's 6 months old right now and , so he's a puppy and may be lacking some of the traits because he hasn't grown into them and some of the answers make me think you didn't read HIS (as in Sawyer not breed) traits.

Really looks to have Australian Shepherd or Border Collie mix. Some Doberman Pinscher could be in the mix also.

have  you ever heard a breed called Besenji . well that what you have those dogs very smart and are hunting dog. great with children but not good with small animals . those are hunting breeds. here are the information about the breed.

height is 15-17 inch and weight about 20-25 lbs and life span is 10-12 years. origin from zaire , africa .description . A small or medium sizeed ,smooth coated dog with a wrinkled forehead and Tightly curled tail , colors include black ,red,copper, black,and  tan  or bindle, with white markings include  white chest  and feets, and tail-tip. 

Sometimes known as the congo dog , th basenji orginated in zaire,Afica. where it has been used in packs to hunt games such as antelope, monkeys and small wild cats ,probably for thousand of years. pursuing its quarry by both scent and sight , it drives animals into the open ,into nets,or up the trees where they can then be dispatched by its handlers.quite fearless , the basenji has even been known to attack large predators such a big cats , particularly in defence of its pups. interestinfly, the basenji is also know as the African barkless dog. and perhaps the most remarkable characteristic of this breed is its unique voice . it is generally silent and dos not bark.but produces a variety of yodeling calls highly intelligent,affectionate ,and playful  dog.the Basenji will make a good pet if handled and socialized reglurly when young and is often most content if kept with others of its kind. . 

He's the result of several generations of back alley free-for-alls, by the looks of it. I don't think any of his recent ancestors are of a defined breed. Many dogs who are bred from picked up strays are completely undefined when it comes to breed.

• Maka

Heinz 57 varieties but a good companion

• Ocimom

I see possible Aussie shepherd and maybe Doberman for the color.  Don't really see pit in him from the photo.  Lab would fit (chocolate or yellow), White from the Aussie or Pit if he has Pit in him.  I agree he is very cute.  Thank you for rescuing him.

He is quite handsome, I don't see the pitt bull, muzzle is much to skinny for that.  Could be border collie.

NOTHING you have said indicates pit bull.

The face shape isnt even pit bull.Dogs sleep how they are comfortable.  Pit bulls dont sleep any different way.   I have a Crested who sleeps with his family jewels exposed for the world to see..  And had a husky mix who did the same thing.Pit bulls have the same bite force as ANY OTHER BREED of similar size.Many breeds have loose skin..   Fighting breeds actually tend to have tight skin so as to NOT give the opponent something to grab.I think doberman is a possability...  Many dogs have the black and tan or rust and tan markings tho.  Maybe some kind of hound in the mix.   Some husky could also be a contributing factor in his color/markings.

The markings do look like a red aussie

Loving tug if war isnt a breed trait.

I'm quite certain that there is some Doberman Pinscher in him somewhere in his background.....Red and Rust Doberman would be my guess.

• Maxi

Maybe a chocolate Dobie/Border collie cross

If it is really important that you know what all is in him, the dna will do it.  Most cost around $60 & I don't think that is too much if you really need to know.  I think there are more than two breeds in him & it is hard to 'guess' what all is in there.  I am afraid that I would be way off.  I think I see Dobe, pit & possibly lab, just guessing.