Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 2 months ago

If you leave something blank on your ballot, will it be discarded?

I got to the section about the appellate and circuit courts and it’s confusing.  I’m not sure how to vote.  For example, under circuit court, there are 13 subcategories (vacancy of X) and one choice for each.  It says “vote for one” but there is only one choice.  I want to skip it.  Will my ballot be discarded if I do?

Depends on your state. But not choosing a candidate should be voting for none of the above.

I live in Illinois, and your ballot is not discarded if you fail to vote on a specific office, or a proposal.  You could, if you wished, not vote for president, but vote for the school board if you wanted to.

Sometimes, I vote for the president, members of Congress, and some local positions; but I skip a few - but the votes I made are counted in Illinois.I think that this process is the same in all states, but I am not certain.

don't be stupid.  you can vote or leave blank any office, and that does not have anything to do with the other offices on your ballot

It records that in which you voted on/for!

wow you're obviously too dumb to vote SON

It will not invalidate your other choices. I understand about the election of the judiciary. The state in which I reside elects most of its judges on partisan ballots. Add to that that many down-ballot judge races run unopposed. I can just about promise you that most voters haven't a clue who these people are other than they belong to a particular party. Most of their races are funded by wealthy law firms whose attorneys practice in their courts. That smells of a conflict of interest to me. I have always favored something akin to the Missouri Plan for judgeships. 

• susan

No. You have more than one race/question to vote on with that ballot. If you leave some races/questions blank, the other votes you cast will still count.

When there is only one name, that means the person is running unopposed (probably to keep a job they already have.) They are sure to be reelected, because they will vote for themselves, and at least a few people that know them will vote for them too, and that's all it will take for an unopposed person to "win" the election. 

• kristy

No........................., x

Vote straight republican is best and if you do not know just support party you want and look only to see what each candidate supports.

What you describe is officially referred to as an 'undervote'. Not vote will be recorded for that race or issue. It WILL NOT invalidate the rest of the ballot. In fact, it is COMMON for people to vote for President, but not for anything else on the ballot.

'y' is DEAD WRONG in 100% of jurisdictions on the planet.

Note: If you use an absentee or mail in ballot, all the identifying information on the envelope you put the ballot in must be complete. There is nothing on the actual ballot that is required.

Source(s): 20 years as an election official.