College help?

I am currently a junior in high school, i have always been labeled as "smart" and was always placed in classes a year above my peers.  But i have never gotten the greatest grades. i am an ok test taker (i usually get in the low-mid 80s), but tend to forget about homework assignments.  i currently have a 3.09 GPA and am trying to hit in the 1300s on the SAT.  I really want to be a chemical engineer when i grow up, and i am good in my chemistry and physics class.  But my question is, can i really get into a good school for what i want to do with these stats?  I am trying to improve, but especially with a hybrid schedule, my grades are falling.  i am worried for my future.

You can always start at a community college where you can learn to concentrate and improve your study skills.  That's what I did, and I ended up with a Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley.

Get organized. Do the work. Become a better test taker. Pull up the grades. 

You're smart enough to do those things. 

It doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't develop your self-discipline. 

• Lili

You need to work a lot harder. There are many places where you can study CE -- you don't have to attend a top school -- but it's a difficult major, and your performance so far doesn't suggest that you are up to it. And you might not be admitted to an engineering major. This is a major that can involve selective admissions even if you've been admitted to the university in general.

You should not have been skipped ahead, because you clearly were not academically prepared.  I think you should drop back into normal grade-level classes if at all possible.  Scores of low-mid 80s on tests are NOT impressive. 

You also need to devise a way to stay on top of your homework.  Putting together some sort of reminder schedule online/on your phone would be the way to do that.

You have to improve your grades and your level of academic responsibility to have any hope of making in college, let alone in CE.

• donnie

You will need to talk with a guidance counselor. 

Most people agree that chemical engineering is *the* most difficult college major in existence, period.

If you can barely hold on to a 3.0 GPA in high school, it's doubtful you will get through a chemical engineering program in college.

That said, if you're acing your physics, chemistry and math classes (you mention the first two but not the second). and it's the English, history, and language classes that are lowering your GPA, then you may well do just fine. Engineering schools don't usually require much in the way of general education classes, although they usually require some sort of English composition class. 

Will you get into a "good" school? Well, what is "good"? You're certainly not going to MIT with a 3.1 GPA and a 1300 on the SAT. Most of the "flagship" state universities will be out of reach as well. But look into engineering programs at smaller, lesser-known state colleges, you ought to get in somewhere.

• John

Your school has made a huge error in moving you into higher level classes.  With a 3.0 in the older students' classes, you most likely would have excelled at your correct age level.  I think your parents should contact the school, and move you to the correct grade level.

This is a tough year, but you really need to focus and learn to get your work done. Some universities design their engineering programs so that they flunk out the weaklings freshman year. They want their engineering degrees to mean something, so they only want their best students to graduate with engineering degrees. Unless you learn how to study and ace your exams now in high school (where the exams are easier), you'll never make it through an engineering program in college.

• drip

A 3.0 is not going to get you in to the better universities or directly into an chemical engineer department for the major. 

Realize in college the majority of work is done outside of the classroom.  And test count as a greater percentage of your total grade.  In my daughter’s linear algebra class her total class grade was based on five tests.  

You need to be doing all the work in high school. You can’t forget to do the work or hand it in.  And you need to address your test skills.

You may get in to a college, but you are not going to do well if you don’t have the study skills, time management skills and organization that is needed.

You need to great at math and writing. If you haven’t taken calculus, schedule it in for next year. AP or Honor level English language and calculus and chemistry would all be to your benefit. 

My daughter was writing five pages paper almost every week for one class or another.  Her honor thesis paper was 65 pages.    Her husband was a chemistry major. He was writing 5-20 page papers for his science classes. 

https://www.engr.utexas.edu/admissions/undergradua...

Forgetting to do work is inexcusable. Doesn’t matter that your are online or in  classes.  Get yourself organized. 

I believe you've done and will do your best. Don't worry about future, having plan and doing the best today are the best things you can do. You might better try to find your weaknesses which makes some of your grades fall by sharing your problem to your parents, teachers, or friends. So you will find the way then.

One thing that you better remember is failure is the part of life. Being failed is okay but there will always be better things ahead. In another story, some people not always get what they want and dream but they get what they belong to have.

What is so damn important about getting into a "good" school?  It is a hundred times better to graduate from a state college than it is to flunk out of an Ivy League college.  In fact, I hired a Harvard dropout for a shipping clerk job.  She had been admitted because of the color of her skin and her gender plumbing.  BTW I flunked a grade and barely got out of high school but went on to graduate from a state college.