Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Do most Americans, both conservatives or liberals, believe in natural law? Why or why not?

GREAT QUESTION !!! I just have to admire and congratulate you for that question.

• Den B7

Most Americans don't believe in the law of gravity and many often scoff it by floating around.

what does that mean, natural law?  It has been used to mean a heck of a lot of different things including a lot of racist ideas. I am not aware of many who believe in the racial meaning of the term (there are some, certainly). 

Do you mean by the term that nature functions according to a set of rules of functionality that cannot be violated?  I think there are lots of Americans that think that is true, and a lot who think that is nonsense.  Not clear to me that this is something that is linked strongly to political ideology.  The ideologies tend to differ on what those rules are and how they work, more than that there are no rules.

I don't have any idea what you mean by natural law. A source would have been nice, if informed communication is what you prefer.

Laws of nature like gravity, evolution, climatology, & epidemiology?  It's not so much that I believe in them as I believe they're the best approximations we have to the underlying reality.  And I believe the scientific method is the best process we have for finding better approximations.

Liberals do not becasue if they did, they would not allow murders in the street and $13 billion in damage just to try and steal an election