Ambient instrumental song pre-summer 2004?

There was a song released no later than summer of 2004, that I have not been able to find out what it was called for the past sixteen years!

The closest I can come to describing: It has no lyrics, so I'm already fighting a losing battle. It began with a few seconds of a super low, ominous choir, and that's the closest to any sort of vocals it had. It's very slow and ambient, with a dark and creepy feel to it. It also sounds similar to music by Lustmord.

When I first heard it, it made me think of a creepy old abandoned factory, since it was synthed and had this dark mood. I might even go as far as to call it a "soundscape," but not exactly. The soundtrack to *Blade Runner* is probably the closest thing I can compare it to, though not as spacey, and more robotic. I could also easily picture it being something that would play during the credits for a *Matrix* movie.

I doubt this will be of any help, but I actually heard it during an activity in a summer camp in elementary school. The instructor played random songs, and the group sat in a circle, listening with our eyes closed. Once a song ended, we opened our eyes back up, and shared what sort of imagery the song conjured up in our imagination. For me, it was a dark and creepy abandoned robot factory.

I recorded myself doing my best recollection of how the song went, using an online piano program. It's *really* rough, but hopefully the melody can be of help with recognizing.

https://vocaroo.com/1Fbd3DRvZZRW

• steve
    Favorite Answer

Thank you for your lengthy question (with an audio example and time frame).   That's the kind I like!

Unfortunately, I didn't recognize the brief melody.  Can you name any other 'robotic' music?   You might want to ask your question on an ambient forum elsewhere.   I'd try my best to track down the instructor, but that's probably a lost cause (given the time that has past). 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a music therapist (?) playing Lustmord-like songs to elementary schoolers.  Sounds fun.  What's next? Penderecki, Ligeti or Xenakis? Or the Gyuto Monks? Or early Einstürzende Neubauten?  (Sweet dreams!)

*************

One 'robotic' song I remember is Brian Eno's ominous 'In Dark Trees', but it doesn't have a choir.

Thanks for the in-depth answer! I looked up the song you suggested, and, unfortunately, it wasn’t it. I may just have to start posting on r/TipOfMyTongue every week, but that doesn’t even feel hopeful.