My car ran out of oil and won’t start. ?

Ok I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring 140,000 that just put a lot of work into with a new water pump, new head gasket and tuneup. Recently my car would just shut off when sitting idle but would turn right back in planned on getting that looked at. Yesterday I was doing about 8mph and suddenly need oil light came on and then car slowed down and stopped. I waited for trippleAaa for about an hour but had my hazards on and headlights on and was charging my phone during this time I noticed radio wouldn’t turn on and windows was slow as expected. The tow guy couldn’t get in neutral I told him give it a jump he hooked it up literally one second just to get in nuetral it’s was 2 am we both were tired. He didn’t recharge once my car got to safe place. What is wrong with my car I turn key it just clicks a quiet click. I put oil in it. Is it my battery, my alternator. Did the no oil kill my engine. I’m trying to get at least a couple more more months of my car until I buy a very reliable car. 

Problem is in your ALTERNAOTR< BATTERY< or charging system! OPEN the HOOD and see if the ALTERNATOR BELT is NOT broken!! It is NOT a totaled engine yet!.  HOPE you are using GENUINE CHRYLSER coolant and NOT PRESTONE or other ones! There is NO SUCH THING anymore as UNIVERSAL COOLANT or even ENGINE OILS. The WORST news here is that BOTH the BATTERY and the ALTERNATOR will prob need to be REPALCED! DO NOT use an AUTO ZONE battery either! They are a RIP OFF! GO to the JUNK YARD and get a good used FACTORY ONE from a JAP or ASIAN car or even from CHRYSLER! The ALTRNATOR can be rebuilt or exchanged! BE SURE that no OIL has dripped onto it, and POWER WASH the engine SHOWROOM CLEAN with GUNK ORIGINAL ORANGE engine cleaner to get ALL the debris out of there! FOCUS on the space BEHIND the radiator where LEAVES, STICKS< FEATHERS< and ANIMAL droppings have collected for YEARS! IT will help the cooling system a LOT as air will flow through the system as it should! GOOD LUCK and use DENSO TWIN TIP IRIDIUM LASER plugs to get MROE power and economy while LOWERING emissions! TRUMP is an A HOLE! Using PENNZOIL PLATINUM oil will get you a 500,000 mile extra engine warranty! Have your THROTTLE BODY and IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVES cleaned up usign AMSOIL POWER FOAM! You only have a CHARGING issues here you are VERY LUCKY! I would BET your ALT belt broke off! NOT to WORRY!  CLEAN THAT IACV and TB to SHOWROOM CLEAN and the idle issue will just disappear! Run the POWER FOAM through the PCV valve to clean YEARS of baked in COKE and SLUDGE from your rings and piston tops! GOOD LUCK again! NEVER use CHAMPION Plugs in there either For some reason CHAMPION seems to be on league with CHRYSLER! They are JUNK Plugs IRIDIUM PLUGS will get you MORE POWER and lower emissions while improving FUEL MILEAGE and keeping the O2 sensors CLEANED UP! It is a WIN, WIN, WIN situation! They are $7 each and you need FOUR of them! TRY IT and SEE the difference!

Sounds like your blinker fluid is low too

• Phil M

I'm guessing it is the battery. If the engine was out of oil the light would have been on for some time before it quit running. Try jump starting with another car with a good battery. If it cranks but still wont start disconnect the jumper cables and try unhooking the negative cable from the battery for 20 seconds or so to reset the computer in case there is a low voltage protection mode active. Then try to jump it again. You may need to have the other car connected for a few minutes before trying to start.

• JOHN B

Probably weak battery. If that was the first time for the low oil light, there would still have some oil in the engine. Hazards and radio could run down battery. Take it to one of the auto parts stores and have it tested. Especially if that's the original battery.

WHY? DID you add oil.?  You did not tell us what the oil level was in the car before you added the oil.  THAT MATTERS.   If the dipstick did not touch any oil. it would be dry.

Does not matter after that point.

Engine done suck the big one.

You do not need to leave headlights on while the Emergency flashers are flashing.  Headlights drains the battery faster.  Headlights are not needed for cell phone recharge either. Just turn them off.

TV shows do not help as their batteries go forever so the headlights are always burning. They teach you nothing.

.  A mechanic has to look and see as you still had oil, just not enough for it to be happy.  However you did not hear something like a sledgehammer hitting the engine block, so there is hope for you still.  Once you get the "KNOCK" LIKE BARE KNUCKLES KNOCKING ON A WOODEN DOOR  THAT IS "FORKED"

You borked it.

The "need oil light"????  There is no such thing - most cars have an oil pressure gauge or light.  Not knowing the difference just cost you an engine.......but getting that many miles out of a Sebring is probably a record.

A smart person that spent all the money you did on that car would have been changing their oil every 3,000 miles and checking the oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles to protect their investment. If the motor was more then 3 quarts down just scrap the car at an auto recycler.

You put a lot of work into the car but failed to maintain the oil level? Well there you go. Your negligence has wiped out all the efforts you previously applied. A salutary lesson learned. I hope.

If the car did actually run out of oil - then the car is dead.

Without motor oil to lubricate the motor, the motor will seize up.  Putting in more oil does not fix that problem.

The motor would need rebuilt or replaced - which is a pretty expensive repair.

But - since I can't actually see the vehicle, - I am only going on your description and it could still be an easier problem to solve.  Have a mechanic check it out for you - but if oil was the problem - you are going to have an expensive repair bill.