Electric Furnace Purge?

My electric furnace has a built in purge that runs for 2 minutes. The fan stays running for 2 minutes after the heating element turns off. Therefore mixing all of the cold air from our windows back into the house. It will turn off for a few seconds then right back on largely because of the purge. Is this really necessary? I can not find anything on the web about this situation. 

I don't understand the pulling in cold air from the windows.

The fan runs as a safety after the heating has turned off, it removes the excess heat that may linger so that, in your case, the coils are not damaged. It will kick on and off, as you are actully describing, until the temp in the box is low enough, so that o damage will occur.

Single pane glass? Yes they are cold  Insulative factor of glass is 0.  Most houses have double pane glass.  Some have triple pane glass.  I have double but I added that shrink plastic onto the window so I have an air gap of 1/8" .  That much air gap is equal to 3" of insulation. Makes a big difference. The windows were cleaned so do not need cleaning again so long as the plastic stays on.  Mine has been on for 2 years. Summer and winter and the windows can still be opened.  Look into it. Your windows leak air into the house if you can see the outside light through a crack.  You want to fix it so that the window seals up tight and the doors have seals all the way around them.  Keeps out bugs and mice too.

ask at a building supply store about windows and show them a picture of yours.  I am guessing you just got bars to your cell.

• y

• Droopy

Its a safety if it cuts off right when heat cuts off it can damage the heating elements.  It  shouldn't be pulling outside air.  it pulling air in from the return in the house.   

maybe you should pay someone to fix it