Aussies, what do you think of those Chiko Rolls?

I buy them frozen and heat them in the oven, less fattening than deep fried.

Never heard them mentioned, though. 

Fred, might wanna try the oven, they do come out a little crispy.

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

I just microwave them and they come out fine and are done quickly and no fat so are not as crisp as deep fried ones but I like them cooked this way.

Awwe no fair. I'm allergic to gluten now and can't eat them anymore.

Miss chiko rolls :(

Frank McEnroe was a boilermaker from Bendigo who developed the iconic deep fried Chinese-style roll to sell while catering at football matches and other events.The Chiko Roll was first sold at the Wagga Wagga Agriculture Show in 1951. Later, the Chiko Chicks, astride their Harley Davidson motorbikes, became the marketing signature of the brand. Some people think the Chiko Roll is Australia’s national food.

Frank McEnroe was a man of big ideas. For 20 years he ran a catering business with his brothers, Leo and Gerry, serving food at country shows and sporting events. The legend goes that one day Frank spotted a man selling Chinese-style chicken rolls outside Richmond football ground. This inspired him to make a bigger, better version.

The Bendigo descendents of the McEnroe brothers now claim that they were all involved in inventing the Chiko Roll in the local dairy factory where they worked. Their recipe omitted the chicken and had a filling made from minced mutton, celery, cabbage, barley, rice, carrots and spices. Instead of the flimsy Chinese-style wrapper, this substantial filling was enclosed in an even more substantial egg and flour dough. And deep fried.

Prefer dim sims.

they taste OK and better than having a hot  dog or a meat pie 

• Dj2541

Chiko  rolls  are  another  great  Australian  invention.Originally  sold  in  Melbourne  at the  football,  as a meal that  you  could  eat  with  one  hand. No  mess  no  fuss.

we buy them cooked at the fish and chip shop deep fried ..i love em ..yummo

mind  you only have em when we have F& C 

Do they come with a gorgeous girl on a motorcycle. 

Chiko rolls made me into the man I am today. My local fish n chip shop does a nice Chiko, I'm too lazy to heat them up myself.

• Haven't had them for years. Do they still sell them at takeaway shops?