Mike asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why is everyone a "home chef" these days?

Every ******* jackass who watched something on TV now spends 7 hours burning a $75 baloney sandwich in their apartment in the burbs just to post it to instagram. What caused this?

IvaB, you sound like a jackassy home chef.

No Brad, on Master Chef, Jimmy from "Corsage"; a food truck in Seattle made it by searing the truffles in lard. Then the gold leaf is placed on each organic curd of heritage mortedello. The cheese must be sun dried under the space heater to exacting standards... and then this whole world yells at their little brother to stop occupying the kitchen and setting off the smoke alarms.

How do you burn a bologna sandwich. Just slap  bologna, cheese, pickles, mustard on two slices of bread

Instagram caused this. You kinda answered your own question.

Am I a home chef? 

I make around 12 of our 14 main meals each week plus bread, crackers, cakes pizzas, chocolates etc and have done for nearly 40 years. I don't have an instagram account nor do I burn stuff or have an apartment. Nor do I watch kitchen porn. I suppose I'm not really a home chef after all. Just a super cook.

If you think it takes anyone $75 and 7 hours to make a baloney sandwich you need to stop letting your mommy or your wifey cook for you.  Only thing that takes me 7 hours to prepare is things like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and once someone has their kitchen stocked it shouldn't cost $75 for anything but those and outside of things like a Rib Roast or Kobe Beef or just getting unnecessarily ridiculous with the truffles, oils, and gold flakes but I don't think anyone would use truffles and gold flakes on a baloney sandwich.   As a matter of fact, there's a saying of sorts that if someone's spending drastically more than they normally do on something they cook that they don't know what they're doing, you sound like you wouldn't know what you were doing so I'm guessing you're closer to being the one spending $75 and 7 hours to make a baloney sandwich than the people you are chiding.  

• kswck2

Two reasons: Covid lockdown and The Food Network.

• denise

Covid lockdown restrictions …… Duh!!

Every time you ask this question, 7 more Instagram chefs are born. 

Not true. I burn food and wreck meals all the time and never once posted it to Instagram.

Social media.  "look at me, look at me!"

What caused it? Dickheads like you paying attention to the ******* jackasses producing the content. Click-bait